August 15, 2008

Showdown!

I R RETURN!!!

After an extended break, I'm back on the air... And, with some good luck, some free time, and some inspiration, hopefully I won't be gone again soon!

My return coincides brilliantly with the big weekend showdown which I'd like to call 'afasa gay bolt'... I'm not sure what a 'gay bolt' is, but you never mind that. It's been years since I've been so pumped up for a single sporting event (I can't even recall how many cricket games have had me feeling like this). There's just such a great sense of anticipation, hope and expectation that's taking over me right now. Even the heats got me extremely nervous.

From where I sit, my main hope is that a Jamaican wins the event... even if it's Michael Frater, I'd be happy... but a Frater win would prove rather anti-climatic in this particular case. Who I really want to win is Asafa, mainly because I think he may run out of chances if he misses this one. Some will say it's his own fault that he's not yet a world champion, and they would be right. But that's not my concern right now. I think for all his brilliance he deserves an individual gold medal. I do however, like most I've spoken to, give the edge to Usain. He's far more confident and far more relaxed- he really has the makings of a champion. But, all being well, he'll have many more chances to get it done.

My final requirement is that Gay make it to the finals and loses to both Asafa and Usain. Some commentators today have predicted that Tyson won't make the finals. I hope he does. I don't want one of our guys to win while Tyson fails to qualify, or pulls a musle, or any of that. I want his ass whipped in record style!

Now I'm even more nervous. The anticipation is overwhelming... I only hope that this race will live up to its hype, and that us Jamaicans won't come out on the flip side lamenting what could have been.

1 comment:

Sweet Simone said...

u thought Frater winning would be anticlimatic? that would have been interesting to see. but i am saddened that asafa again lost to his anxiety, i like u hoped he would win for the same reasons, but figured that bolt would since he is still in the zone of "Life is Easy", nothing really perturbs him yet.