Before I get into it, let me just say how proud I am of Jamaica's Olympic team. We had high expectations of them, and so far they have delivered 10 times over. You kinda wish their performances were enough to heal this country of its many ills. But even if that doesn't happen, it's been a wonderful few days for this country and we have a million reasons to celebrate the talents which Jamaica has in store.
OK... Now to the topic at hand. Before I say anything else, let it be clear that I am in no way seeking to condone the actions of Usain. At the same time, I equally have no intentions of denouncing said actions. What I hope to offer is some perspective.
It's made Jamaicans bitter for years - the wagging tongues, self-indulgent speech, and the (seemingly) overall arrogance of American track stars. Their actions stir emotions of disgust, anger and annoyance. We've never minced words when talking about them, declaring our dislike for not just the individuals as athletes, but also as people.
But it seems that for now times have changed. As usual, we've watched many of these American athletes come and go, and just like that, Jamaica is finally in the position it has earned over many years of hard and honest work. But in the midst of it we find ourselves with a star above all stars, and indeed, a character the likes of which track and field has never really seen before.
It began with a remarkable 9.69 seconds. But before that time had elapses, Usain Bolt found himself looking to his right rather than in front of himself... beating his chest rather than pumping his arms... making a spectacle of an event which perhaps needed no further hype- afterall, 9.69 had never been done before. Some people see his 'reactions' as arrogance; others see it as joy and elation. How you feel about it is likely to be influenced by your country of birth.
Now, I've heard all manner of interpretations of Usain's 'antics' - but here in Jamaica the reaction tends to be one of amusement. I stood in front of the television set at my workplace before the start of the 200M finals. Usain did his usual eyebrow-straightening, big-screen-identifying poses. My coworkers reacted with loud laughs and support for the youngster. I would have been amused myself were it not for the one question that lingered in my mind- if that were Tyson Gay, or Shawn Crawford, or Walter Dick... sorry... Walter Dix, how would we feel?
The general feeling seems to be one of acceptance: "That's just how he is", or "He's a young man, just full of energy." While both those statements are correct, why did we not say the same of Shawn Crawford and Justin Gatlin in 2004, as they sped to the finish line puffing out their chests and staring at each other as they left the field behind? Why did their youth provide no consolation? The simple answer is that we really didn't and still don't know these Americans. The parallel truth, however, is that we don't try to know them, and we don't care to know them. And that's fine, actually. However, should we rush to judge that which we don't know any more than that which we do know?
I too am tired of the years of American bravado... if that's what it really is... At the same time, I would HATE for the Jamaican tradition to be comparable to a tradition which we have despised for years. At what point will we decide that Usain has overstayed his time in the showmanship world? If we decide that he has a lifetime pass, that's great. I do hope, however, that at that same time we are as willing to accept the antics of others from other countries (including the Americans). The next time you see Allison Felix thumping her chest towards the finish line, you should be thinking "She's just excited" rather than "She's just a cocky bitch".
It's not my task to say whether my boy Bolt is right or wrong. All I ask for is some consistency from those who look on.
5 comments:
I had a conversation with a friend a few days ago in which I said pretty much the same thing. I think I went as far as to say some of us are seemingly hypocritical. Eg, I had a convo with a Bajan who was accepting of Bolt's behaviour while acknowledging it was somewhat showy. Yet an American acting the same way is wrong. I cannot accept that we seem to turn a blind eye when the same thing we criticize others (US mainly) about is the same thing we turn around and accept because it's our own. Some say "it's his personality" (including his mother according to the Gleaner), but couldn't the same be said about all the other cocky Americans?
We need to seriously think about how we go about "hating" others for how they are while accepting the very same thing. Dat nuh right!
PS: Still proud of Bolt and all the others. Proud bad!
I'm not a big fan of Bolt's antics...but at the same time, I can sympathize with how he must feel. So I'm one of those who excuses his behaviour.
I think though, that part of our intolerance of the American version of showing off is that:
1. In the back of our minds, we figure dem well drugs up, so didn't deserve to win.
2.American athletes tend to showboat the entire season....not just when they win the Olympic race.
I think we spend way too much time caring about what people do after a race (and I include myself because I knock the Americans too and am having a 'crash' moment where the things I used to condemn others for is what I do myself.... I've had many crash moments this year, quite humbling, but I digress). If I won an Olympic gold, donkey lensing everyone else, and getting a world record, I cyaa promise you I not going to cartwheel round the track and shout the name of my country the whoole way round.
I think a part of the reason we dont like the American sprinters showboating is because theyre, quite simply, American...I think most of us remember Barcelona Olympics and the US coverage, and up to today still have them up for that. I have a feeling that were it some other country doing exactly the same things Americans have been doing, we wouldnt react the same way we do to Americans. When the Cuban hurdler won the 110m hurdles final, he crossed the line with a well arrogant look on his face. I didnt mind that, thought it was amusing. But if an American did the same, i wouldnt have liked it.
Over the years we should have been using British feeds instead of American and we'd perhaps not be so disgusted with them.
Post a Comment