May 16, 2007

Straight Talk

I don't like reading.

I avoided reading subjects in school. Luckily for me, in high school the only subjects that remained mandatory in Grade 10 (or 4th form...) were Math and English. I believe they've amended that policy now to included another subject or two, but having left the school 8 years ago, I couldn't care less now. What all that means is that I avoided practically all my reading subjects- History, Social Studies, Religious Knowledge, and, even more importantly, English Literature. Additionally, as you would imagine, I was never eager to read on my own. So the newspaper, novels... dammit, even comic books could not evade my scorn. Once it had letters, I wasn't interested.

It's actually quite ironic when you think about it. I absolutely enjoy writing. I've even harboured thoughts of writing more professionally in some publication or the other (mainly because other people have told me that I could, rather than due to my own conviction). How then can I not be interested in reading? Why would someone who hates reading write such long posts?

I've 'tried' for years to change my attitude, but it's all been futile. Consequently, I'm forced to write with my very basic vocabulary. It's only proved so problematic, however. Frankly, a lot can be said without littering a paragraph with 15-letter word. And honestly, I find that I somewhat resent reading a piece of literature (whether editorial, fiction, blogs) that's written in such a way. It's as if the writer is attempting to flaunt his well-(over)developed vocabulary by pulling every large word out of his ass the second his bowels get shifted. Dammit, it's actually quite annoying.

I don't like having to pause every two seconds to try and comprehend a phrase. If I have to work to hard to understand what somebody's saying, it's not very fulfilling. Just say what you're saying. You don't need to be all colourful, and wow me with your education. As I see things, intelligence is better portrayed in what a person says rather than the caliber of words he uses to say it... Given, of course, that in either case the sentences make sense.

In the end, I can't tell people how to write; I definitely don't have such a power. All I can do is exercise the power I do have... choose what I wanna read.

3 comments:

Adrian said...

I'm in the same boat as you.. in high school I actually dropped literature before cxc even though the school said it was compulsory.

Jhaldir said...

I actually find simpler sentences more elegant than some of the jumbled up, inane, run-on, sentences that some people try to pass as complex, meaningful verbiage of an intricate nature. <-- Like that one.

Anonymous said...

I read a post before where you said this and I find it difficult to understand.

You are one unique person I tell you.

I've always enjoyed reading. But I'm with you in avoiding what I like to call, 'ready-ready' subjects. A couple years ago, I considered doing a law degree, then I thought of the pages and pages of reading that's required. I just couldn't build up the courage to handle that.