My job has me sitting behind a computer screen for the majority of my day. So it didnt surprise me when I started to have some trouble with my eyes. Specifically, I had two main issues- the first was that my eyes would hurt a bit and feel like they were trying to pop out of my skull; the other problem was a related headache. In one particular week, it got really bad, and I decided to see a specialist...
...An optometrist, specifically (my mother still believes I probably should've visited an ophthalmologist, but what's the difference). Anyway, it so turns out that this particular in the same office where the optometrist works, you're able to fill your prescription, choose your frame, etc. My initial thought was something to the effect of, "Chances are, if I came in here with a broken foot they'd prescribe glasses, 'cause they'd just make more money." I didn't honestly believe that though. I was however pretty sure I'd be told I needed glasses.
The optometrist carried out a myriad of painful tests, mostly involving shoving bright lights in my face. And in the end, the consensus was predictable- "Mr. B, you need glasses." For some reason I'm not always the sharpest thinker, and why I chose not to ask her how I could have 20/20 vision and be farsighted (or is it nearsighted?) at the same time is beyond me. And why should I? The woman was certified, and all her explanations (barring that one) made perfect sense. So I didn't ask... not until I walked out and thought about it some more, at which point it no longer mattered. I'd already picked my frame, maxed out my health card and shed some thousands from my wallet.
Then I spoke to my sis Elaine, who's an advocate for 2 eyes instead of 4... and when she mentioned "Maybe you're not getting enough sleep", I decided to pay more attention to what factors are common to the days when my eyes irritate. And lo and behold, I've found that on days when I sleep long and well my eyes don't trouble me at all. But the other strange thing is that, soon after I got the glasses, the irritating headaches and eye-popping feelings I used to get disappeared, even on days when I got to work a bit tired. So I have glasses now, but I'm thoroughly convinced that the problem was misdiagnosed and that I don't need glasses at all.
Apparently, my eyes simply wanted to know that I still care.
3 comments:
Hush ya - you got hoodwinked (or so you think)
lol my job has be behind the pc for like 8hrs a day too, I guess I know what to expect in the future.
It doesnt help also that everybody in my family and their relatives where glasses too, maybe they got me mixed up at the hospital??
That doesn't sound strange to me.The irritation of your eyes would definitely increase if you don't get enough sleep or you're dehydrated, but if you still have to squint or stare hard at the screen to make things clearer it would cause headaches.
Then again maybe you should use something to protect you from the glare of the screen or increase the font size.
Post a Comment