May 21, 2007

Traits of a Real Man

As I ate my lunch at work today, I listened in shock as a conversation took place around me. It was about woman-beating, and how to deal with an abusive husband/boyfriend. As expected, all the women were quite against the idea of being beaten by their men, most of them openly insisting that they would only allow themselves to be hit the first time, and no more.

As per usual, I sat in silence, pretending to eat my lunch and mind my own business. But I was actually paying very close attention to what was being said. One person was depressed by the mere thought of being hit by a man, and used that fear to support her love for the single life.

Someone else spoke of the 21 stitches her ex-man was forced to get after she threw a bottle into his back... Her story made short is, she lived with him, he was cheating, she found out, and somehow she ended up getting him (go figure). She spoke of how he'd 'never box another woman again'. I wouldn't be too sure. He'll just move on to the next woman in line. And I think she knows that he's still dangerous, because she's actually stayed hidden from him ever since.

I digress. One of my male coworkers smiled through the conversation. Then he chimed in- "Mi wouldn't lick har fi kill har, mi woulda jus' lick har fi show har di way." If every I've had a WTF moment, that was it. But why was I so surprised? I mean, it seems common enough in most societies. I think I was really taken aback by how willing he was to openly admit that he's prepared to do what it takes to 'guide' her in the right path...

Now I'm not sure why he thinks that a man should assume the role of father or mother to his own woman, or that it's his responsibility to help her through life by knocking her around a few times. But what I will say is, no matter the reason (except of course if she fears for her life, which I can understand. Are you happy, Seeker?)- whether it's for money, or 'love', or status- any woman who would stay and accept that treatment is a fool... 'a big dutty fool' as we'd say in primary school. No real man actually believes that bull I heard today.

I would never manhandle a woman... unless, of course, she wanted it :D

3 comments:

The Seeker said...

Dont be quick to call them fools... the world is not black and white. Some women May prefer being nocked around a few times to death or not having someone to take care of her Kids... I am not saying it is right... but dont be quick to judge a choice you have not been put in the position to make...

As for that Clown in your office he is CLEARLY joking NO FOOL seeing a bunch of Jamaican women talking about issues like that will willingly stick his "head" out to get it chopped of... Jamaican women will oblige... Take my word foor it.. he was Joking.

bassChocolate said...

Firstly, unless you believe your life is in jeopardy (and you'll find that in may cases this is not so), you are a fool to take it... Maybe a fool with benefits, but a fool nonetheless.

Secondly, I don't think he was joking.

Rae said...

I don't think I need to actually state my stance on this issue, apart from to say I agree with BC.

And now to add some humour - a quote from Chris Rock...

"I'll never hit a woman... I'll NEVER hit a woman... (applause from the audience while he nods and waits)... but I'll shake the sh** out of her!"

- and that word is shugar by the way :)

Needless to say, I don't condone shaking either.