I ask you not to judge me.
I ask you not to perceive my demeanour as cockiness,
Arrogance, or a sense of self-importance;
Not to read too much into the fact
That I speak well, act disciplined,
And detest the common ways of our people.
I try in turn to treat all equally;
Yet as I, in my kindness,
Point out to you that drink you left sitting on the top of your car
And smile with you (not so much because I'm happy to help
But more because I'm pleased with myself);
I stare at your face, study your garments, listen to your speech
And wonder what criminal activity you choose to embark on
To acquire such an expensive vehicle...
"He must be selling drugs, or robbing people..."
"Maybe it's extortion..."
And all this I think as I smile with you,
As you smile back and thank me for saving your drink,
As we smile with each other, pretending to be people of virtue
When in fact, despite our differences,
We're both of the same cloth,
And whether or not my assumptions about you are true
I am indeed no better than you.
I ask you not to perceive my demeanour as cockiness,
Arrogance, or a sense of self-importance;
Not to read too much into the fact
That I speak well, act disciplined,
And detest the common ways of our people.
I try in turn to treat all equally;
Yet as I, in my kindness,
Point out to you that drink you left sitting on the top of your car
And smile with you (not so much because I'm happy to help
But more because I'm pleased with myself);
I stare at your face, study your garments, listen to your speech
And wonder what criminal activity you choose to embark on
To acquire such an expensive vehicle...
"He must be selling drugs, or robbing people..."
"Maybe it's extortion..."
And all this I think as I smile with you,
As you smile back and thank me for saving your drink,
As we smile with each other, pretending to be people of virtue
When in fact, despite our differences,
We're both of the same cloth,
And whether or not my assumptions about you are true
I am indeed no better than you.
2 comments:
Wicked piece BC. Practical, timely, well written. a
Well done
Post a Comment