I visited a friend yesterday afternoon. I met his two cats for the first time. They were pretty much identical- predominantly black cats, with white streaks in the same areas, same size, eyes, everything... everything was the same except for the fact that they were different sexes, but you wouldn't notice that.
I love cats, and apparently my subconscious believes that animals must also like me. So I decided to do my typical rub-the-head cat greeting. The female was on a computer monitor and the male was on a window ledge. As I approached the female's head I got a nasty stare, and she jumped off the monitor and relocated to the window. OK... that was a bad idea. My friend informed me that the male was a lot more accommodating. I went over to him and he was quite welcoming, accepting the rubs he was receiving and turning and arching to indicate where my fingers should go next. "That's a puss," I thought to myself.
Later on in the evening, I turned around to find that one of the cats was sitting on
my laptop bag. There was a newly-burned DVDs on top of the bag, and I became worried that the cat would scratch it. So I decided to try to pull the disc away without forcing the cat to get up. Well, the second I got a hand on the disc, I felt an attack of claws on my hands... at which point, Bitchy Kitty got up and returned to it's position on the window. "Definitely the female," I thought to myself.
Now I'm not making an XX versus XY comparison out of this. More specifically than that, in fact, I'm making a comparison of personalities. Cats, like dogs, monkeys, pigs, and especially humans, despite looking alike on the surface, have very diverse personalities. We never truly know why some people are the way they are; sometimes it's trauma-related, other times people just learn to be bitchy from an early age. Either way, it doesn't really matter.
We're different and that's simply that.
We like to waste time talking about people who irritate us. But that cat taught me a lesson. For that split second, I was the cat's bitch- she attacked me, and there was nothing I could do about it... but I lived! Humans, on the other hand, don't need to be attacked to want to dislike those who we clash with. We need to stop wasting our time on trivial things. There's a lot of negative around us, and we can't correct it all. But frankly, not all of it needs correcting. Some of it can simply be ignored. Bitchy Kitty has an attitude, so I'll just stay far the next time around
Remember that the next time the girl on the other side of your office pisses you off.
2 comments:
mmmm Deep
lol. OK bass, are you sure you aren't due for a vacation now?
Post a Comment