Admittedly, New Kingston serves many functions, but it is mainly a business centre, a place of business suits, formal meetings, and lots of money. And I'm in the middle of it.
Perhaps that's my problem. I hate the formal world of business. I hate the lingo, I hate the attitude, I hate it all. I'm privileged to work in a company with a very relaxed setting that makes me feel a lot better. The thought of being intimidated by a General Manager who I only see face-to-face maybe once a month, who nods at me and then forgets I exist just doesn't move me. I like to feel like I can be comfortable with the people I work with, from the bottom all the way up the pyramid. Thank God my company isn't the largest either...
I hate the cut-throat way in which real business and finance people think. I've been to a few conferences with these know-it-alls who have all the answers for 'enhancing the bottom line' and 'niche marketing' and whatever other crap they dreamt about the night before, and I realize I never really want to have that enthusiasm... not for business anyway.
I don't need to go to formal dinners with crystal-ware and hand-shaking and conversations I have to pretend to be interested in. I don't like being called into meetings where everything goes over my head. And that's the reality I face currently, being new to the business world. I find myself thrusted in situations where I'm like a pre-teen in a senior choir. And I feel like all eyes are on me, but in fact, no eyes are on me (because I have nothing to contribute).
The other day, after one of such meetings, I was invited to cocktails at a hotel bar with my Managing Director, several other senior staff, and a foreign business partner. I felt like saying, "I'm sorry, but I have to be home before curfew."
I hate the business world... I'm not fond of it, at least. Maybe a few more years of seasoning will make me at home. Otherwise, I'll open my own patty shop... Crap, that's business too, isn't it?
3 comments:
Oh, give you a few years and you'll be right at home, dreaming about ways to enhance the bottom line along with the rest of them.
And I'll be around to remind you of this post!
I feel the same way. The flip side is if you ever go into business for yourself you might find yourself thinking the same way...
I love the hustle of the New Kingston business scene :D
Things fly over my head too but I'm assuming things will get better over time.
Post a Comment