January 02, 2006

Technology Woes: Evolution

Back when I wrote Technology Woes I had just started suffering from the effects of not having my own PC up and running. Two months later, the woes continue.

I brazenly took my malfunctioning PC to Kingston with me. I wasn't sure what I'd be doing with it when I took it. But all that seems to have been figured out. B's dad had that darn thing (which hasn't been working for about 2 months) up and running in 5 minutes. But if only it were that simple.

I've always been convinced that I have the most unique PC problems. The latest of such problems stands as try testament to my belief. After having breakfast yesterday morning (at which point the PC had not been looked at at all) I returned to my room only to find that my PC was on. It was giving the same trouble it's been giving for the past 2 months- when it's turned on, you hear the fans running and the you now the power supply is doing it's thing, but the monitor stays undisturbed as Windows refuses to load. However, never in the 2 months did the damn thing turn itself on. I convinced myself that I must have pushed the power button by accident at some point, and left if at that. Later in the day Dr. W did his thing, and by afternoon I was using my PC again.

But I noticed something strange in the evening. While using the computer, it would begin the shutdown sequence on it's own, and then restart. However, it would switch off again after only seconds of restarting. Then restart. Then turn off. Restart. Turn off. It got annoying.

As of today, it won't even allow Windows to load once. In fact once its plugged in, it just does its possessed dance of restart and shutdown over and over and over. Both Dr. W and I did extensive hardware troubleshooting, all in a futile effort. There's an obeah man at work, somewhere.

So as of right now my PC is in the hands of a technician, who has informed me that the problem is either with the motherboard or the processor, and who estimates that the cost of repairs may approach the 10K mark. I've yet to receive my first paycheck! Oh well. I need my baby back.

1 comment:

Bashmentbasses said...

Too bad I don't have the time. I work on PCs for the challenge. Only cost is for parts.... if needed.