December 04, 2005

When The Ball Drops

I've never been overseas during a Christmas holiday. In all my life, Christmas and New Years have always been celebrated either at home, or at my grandmother's. My grand died back in 1993, so without a doubt, my Christmas season for the last 12 years has been celebrated at home. The tradition won't change for Christmas 2005, but it definitely will for New Years.

In my head it's a big deal and I'm not sure why. I always (with the exception of last year) spend Christmas Eve (and into Christmas Day) on the road lyming, but on New Years Eve night I'm always at home or at church (though it's been a while). So what's the big deal?

I suppose this is just a majorish step for me. It's possible that come New Years I'll be out on the road with friends, or maybe I'll be at my first own place, all alone. Maybe that's what worries me- not the thought of being alone, but the thought of being without my family. I'm gonna be 75 miles away from all the most important people in my life for the first time on a new year. That's gonna be awkward. And then 24 hours after that, I'll be thrown into the deep end at my first permanent workplace.

Whatever happens, things probably won't play out as dramatically as they're temporarily etched in my brain. In any case, I have to deal with the reality- my life's changing in a million ways right before my eyes, and I have no choice but to keep up. I'm sure in no time all the dust will settle again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In every life must come some changes. In the best case they are changes for the better, towards the direction we desire for our lives. In the worst case, they act as learning experiences and help us better ourselves and make better choices in the future. Good luck in the New Year.

Rae said...

Whatever u do, don't do it by yourself. No sitting in the new place alone business. You have friends in all locations. Push come to shove, u know my number.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I can relate. I did all that and more. The change is scary, yes, but at the same time exciting and challenging. Believe me, you wont regret it.