October 03, 2005

Graduation

All my friends at Com C laughed when I told them that I wouldn't be attending Brown's Town Community College graduation. They laughed because apparently I was too 'good' to not go... How on earth could Mrs. Bailey's son not attend his graduation and still have a place to sleep afterwards? My mother was a teacher there at the time (and still is). Making matters worse, all my friends knew that I was asked by the VP (also a good friend of my mother) to be co-valedictorian. So expectations were high. In the end, I didn't go.

Why? Simple answer- I only spent 2 years at Com C, and I really didn't think that warranted the whole gown and mortar board crap. Not after 2 years. To add to that, I was from a very small class (less than 20 people), most of whom weren't going either. So it really wasn't worth it to me.

A part of me thought my lack of enthusiasm for graduation would have been limited to that year. But now I face what may possibly be the biggest graduation of my life, and I feel the same way I felt 4 years ago. It really doesn't excite me. For one, 4 years in that place has showed to me just how unspectacular U.W.I. really is, and I don't feel like it's a big fuss that I'm done. In fact, more than anything else, I'm just glad to be out of there, and have no urge to go back, not even for the graduation.

At the same time, unlike Com C, I know this may actually be important to my family, hence why I'll still go. But I'm not getting a special award, not making a speech, not doing anything really worth looking forward to, so what's the big deal? I'm going to end up sitting amongst a sea of blue as I listen to the half hour long citations of honourary degree recipients. And for the whole thing, the best part will be taking pictures when the function is actually done. What a waste!

Graduations are fund-raisers for institutions. In the end, I end up spending thousands of valuable dollars on clothing that has to be returned, pictures, and whatever else. And after all that, I wake up the next morning no more qualified and no better off than the day before, except that I have my certificate, which I would've gotten whether or not I attended the function.

While I'm on this graduation thing, what's with these kindergarten graduations? Why on earth am I gonna spend money on clothes for my child who's hardly a foot tall? What's the point? Is it really gonna boost morale, or have any life-long positive influences on the child?

Just mail me the certificate.

8 comments:

The Seeker said...

Finally! a kindred spirit.
Never went to mine, I think it kind of dissapointed my family but really I did not see the holabalu, albeit the most significant Graduation for me was my Highschool graduation. After 7 years of @ Cornwall to think I may never see these set of guys again Kinda got to me. But thats for a blog.

Rae said...

As Seeker said, my high school graduation would have been my most significant, but we were deprived it, so ahh well. To make up, I went to UWI's and I'm glad I did, for my family more than myself. The rest is food for a post.

Sweet Simone said...

For me, this Graduation is not about leaving friends etc, behind like it was in high school, it is more about another stage in my life being completed. And the worst one so far i think. It makes me feel i can conquer almost anything thrown my way b/c i went thru some crap to get here. Its also for my parents, my mother especially that cried at every confirmation, every graduation, etc. It means a lot to them, and i feel its the least i can do.

Anonymous said...

I understand where you coming from, Adrian. My high school graduation for me was more about saying goodbye to those friends that would not be coming back to sixth form. We had no ceremony to leave sixth form. UWI graduation was more for my family than me because I stayed an extra semester so most of my friends graduated the year before so I was truly lost in a sea of faces. My UM graduation was definitely the most significant to me because I had completed what I saw as a significant phase in my life, not just school (I am way over-qualified) but living away (not with a family this time), running a household (lazy-roommate-syndrome), growing up tremendously. But all in all, a few hours each time and it was over. Nothing really tangible besides a few pics. This is something I have noticed about a lot of these "big events".

Bashmentbasses said...

Graduation from prep school - I was late due to foolishness on my part. I've been jaded ever since. Don't like the fluff and pagentry.

5th form was amusing, 6th form was idleness (went out and got 'tipsy' with friends afterwards). UWI - spent so friggin long at this place that I felt no thing about it. Went cause Kelly coerced me. Probation - felt nothing, I was valedictorian though. Most likely to take over the department as commissioner. I gave them 2 yrs and walked my ass out. They still pissed.

laroper18 said...

My former high school principal (Mrs. Martin..one of the best ever) once said that graudation is strictly from University...everything else is a school-leaving ceremony. I agree. Personally the only one that I feel I needed to attend was from UWI. I still ended up going to my high school's "graduation" in 5th form and boycotted it in 6th form (actually the entire year group did). Ah well...

I do agree that sometimes these UWI graduations are a grand waste of money, especially when u have to spend so damn much of it!! (not bitter btw)

Anonymous said...

Not going to mine - not spending one extra second than I have to on UWI soil.

Bashmentbasses said...

No Think!!!! We want to cheer you on!!! Come on, you have to reconsider!!