June 23, 2005

Cheating: Black & White?

I think my post Cheating Women may have started a wave of posts in other blogs relating to cheating, and now it's become a monster. With all the comments I've read, I had to revisit the topic of cheating and give my take on what cheating really is.

BB posed what I think are the most pertinent questions of them all: "Where are the lines really? Are they drawn by the wronger or wrongee? Or is there a 'standard' (or lack thereof)?" In other words, where does faithfulness end and cheating begin, and who decides? The answer is actually quite simple.

Every relationship has its own set of dynamics. Some people have 'open' relationships: they agree, for instance, that they can 'play the field' somewhat, but having sex is not an option. So for them, sex is cheating. But in relationships such as the one I'm in, kissing is cheating. Basically, the bounds of a relationship have to be decided by the persons involved in the relationship. I think that many times the problem is that both parties don't know each others' bounds and thus may do something which they believe to be acceptable not knowing that the partner doesn't approve. Other times, they're just being ignorant.

Whatever the case may be, I believe cheating has to involve some intimate relations; it could be that you flirt WITH intent (I flirt, I even do it in front of my girlfriend. But I do it for the fun of it; I have no intentions whatsoever, hence I'm not cheating), or you kiss, or have sex. Whatever it is, it can only be considered cheating if you're partner does not approve. HOWEVER, not everything your partner does not approve of is cheating.

To give practical examples: if you go out with your friends in the nights and your partner doesn't like it, that's not a cheating problem; it may mean your partner is possessive. If you sit in a friends lap and your partner doesn't approve, that's not necessarily cheating; your partner may just be a jealous person. Bear in mind these are just examples.

In the end, however, the reality of the situation is that it's not all black and white; they are some things that are bound to cause disruption between partners. I suppose the key is to try and do those things that make your partner happy, if you really want to, even if it means not doing certain things, despite the fact that you don't consider those things to be cheating actions. Relationships were never easy.

I hope my argument is foolproof. But that's a lot to expect.

3 comments:

The Seeker said...

I agree

Bashmentbasses said...

Perhaps. Mostly will fly. But I don't think it's as variable as whatever they decide. Swingers have sex with other ppl and get upset calling bloody murder if the partner developes an emotional attachment. I still think its cheating.

There are clear guidlines in the bible about man and woman. So despite your acceptance of a particular behaviour, certin things are still wrong. The law doesn't govern sleeping partners but physically cheating is adequate grounds for divorce. For the purposes of inheritance to offspring and rights of each spouse, the law is concerned with the products of such liasions.

Somewhere in the mix-up there is a standard .... at least in law.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
home theater projectors darmowe voip real estate and new jersey 2003 infiniti j30 Best phone for texting voip bangladesh voip forum http://www.answeringservice5.info/voip-call-to-india.html Virtual hosting voip technology All criket cell phone plans Erotic free mobile phone wallpaper Monster cocks homevideo Book ccie download free voip Admission site wifi voip phone.rtx.dk au 100 voice over ip usb phone Digital cameras olympus c 765 ultra zoom steve27s Answering joke machine Ativan replacement United kingdom refinancing pros cons Data+drive+hard+recovery+tool