I have developed blood pressure problems. I think I'm what they call 'pre-hypertensive.' There are a lot of implications for high blood pressure, and none of them is good. Of course, there are all these things one should do to fight high blood pressure, like exercising, reducing salt intake and avoiding stress.
When you develop high blood pressures, your organs, including your heart, become at risk of failing - frightening. That alone seems like all the incentive in the word to do the things necessary to control the illness. But for me, even the thought of death doesn't seem to phase me much sometimes… I mean, the thought of dying does weight heavily on my mind, but that doesn't seem to spur me into action. Disappointing. I still have not identified and exercise regiment to work with and stick to, my diet hasn't changed a whole tonne, and as for stress - let's not even go there.
So clearly the thought of serious illness or death isn't doing it for me… But a friend helped me realize that there are other motivations - big motivations - and I need to focus on those going forward. He also has blood pressure problems, and has been advised to change his diet and all that. But it was something else, he said, that did it for him. He had me stop by his desk, and there he opened up and email with 3 attachments… ultrasounds of his unborn child, 11 weeks in the making. "This changes everything," he said. Not only did he want to take of himself now, he had to… his child will need him.
If the people you love can't motivate you to want to take care of yourself, what will? Here in begins my wake-up call.
When you develop high blood pressures, your organs, including your heart, become at risk of failing - frightening. That alone seems like all the incentive in the word to do the things necessary to control the illness. But for me, even the thought of death doesn't seem to phase me much sometimes… I mean, the thought of dying does weight heavily on my mind, but that doesn't seem to spur me into action. Disappointing. I still have not identified and exercise regiment to work with and stick to, my diet hasn't changed a whole tonne, and as for stress - let's not even go there.
So clearly the thought of serious illness or death isn't doing it for me… But a friend helped me realize that there are other motivations - big motivations - and I need to focus on those going forward. He also has blood pressure problems, and has been advised to change his diet and all that. But it was something else, he said, that did it for him. He had me stop by his desk, and there he opened up and email with 3 attachments… ultrasounds of his unborn child, 11 weeks in the making. "This changes everything," he said. Not only did he want to take of himself now, he had to… his child will need him.
If the people you love can't motivate you to want to take care of yourself, what will? Here in begins my wake-up call.
2 comments:
Good to see you on here bC!!
Great read and good stuff :D I hope we end up being nothing but constant encouragement along the way!
(y)
Post a Comment