I'd like to think I'm not antisocial, but maybe I am.
When I meet people or am around new people, I like sizing them up, coming up with a good initial assessment of them. I've been wrong many times, but I still do it. I can't help it. Today I'm in a training session with 10 other people. It's the 5th and last day of training, and I'm so glad it's over. What I've observed about the others and about myself has been interesting... Within a few days, a number of my 'classmates' became very chummy... having lunch together, and otherwise being attached by the hip for the duration of the week. One of them from the first day got the teachers number and invited him to dinner after training. I, however, have had no such inclinations.
I suppose, in a way, I don't see the point in developing the relationships. I'm not sure if it's because I'm convinced I won't see them again anyway, or that I just have no interest in new friends... It's nice to know people, and have friends, and make networks and all that jazz... but at what point does one's friend count become enough? Why subject myself to getting to know every Tom and Harry even if in truth they may not rub me the right way?
Case in point- one of the girls here- she seems like a nice, friendly person. But she's a real know-it-all, and suffers from severe verbal diarrhoea... she's one of those persons who's willing to tell you her life story from day one. I'm not interested. Despite how nice she is, I just don't feel the need to know her. Is that so bad?
Of course, this same girl wants a class picture before we leave. I wish I could disappear. For others it may not be so bad, because they may have gotten to know each other on some level. But when we leave here I'll move on and forget these people ever existed... and that's not to speak ill of the people... it's just that my life is fine without them.
I guess I am antisocial. So let it be.
6 comments:
I definately share the sentiment. It can be grossly annoying, the over zealous types, but utlimately their aim is to meet everyone they can... if the need arises make use of you later, thats an added bonus.
I think human beings are all silly...myself included. We fight to be different and remain the same. We fight to be in the herd and stick out like a sore thumb. We do what's wrong most of the time and then even the worst offender manages to do an extraordinary good when it's least expected.
I hate us all for these weaknesses but yet it is often our greatest strengths.
I'm in a ppl oriented job cause I hate to see suffering and want to do what I can to alleviate some of it.
I am my own contradiction.... my own worst enemy. I am after all... only human.
I found this a very funny account. This kind of thought has always been in my conciousness....and you're right....I mean there are some people who you just don't form long lasting relationships with from work....in fact I am a firm believer in NOT having work friends as personal friends.....anyway, very thought provoking.
lawx BC, poor you. Glad to know you think you have all you need already. I hope that proves to be true. Might be a good thing in any case. Si mi alredy haffi a fight fi som likkle time wid mi fren, much less when u chose fi go add more people to di rotation :P
I am not antisocial, but shyness is one of my weaknesses. However, like you I would prefer to stay away from people who talk too much
Nobody really wants to talk to you anyway, so...
:P
Post a Comment