October 04, 2007

Garments

On Sunday, for the first time in my life, I was forced to go to church in casual attire. I went to the country for the weekend. When I woke up on Sunday morning and realized that all the clothes I had were either soaked on the line outside, or too small (my weight gain is for another post), I had to consider creative options. After backing and forthing for a while I finally decided that I'd have to go casual. Jeans and a T-shirt it was.

I felt a slight and unnecessary awkwardness as I approached the church door, but I was home, and barring me turning up nude there was no need for me to be nervous. By the time I got in I was totally at peace. Afterall, even if I was a first-time visitor, church isn't a catwalk, right?

Thinking about my situation led me to thinking about people in general, and why we dress how we dress when we go in public. Very few people dress for the sake of dressing. I won't lie, when I go out to somewhere that matters, I want to look as dapper as possible, and it's not just so I can feel sexy. Afterall, if that were the case, I could just put on random clothes, stare at myself in the mirror, and say "You're a prime piece of meat", or whatever it is men say to themselves in front of the mirror.

You, there's nothing wrong with wanting to 'wow' people with how you look, but at what cost? I watched a young lady struggling along to work the other day in her big heals, and a pair of flip-flops in hand? If the shoes are so uncomfortable that she has to walk with spare footwear, why wear them? I hope he's worth it... Then again, it's said that women dress to upstage other women.

In any case, my point is, I always want to dress how I wanna dress, but 1. I don't intend to make a fool of myself trying to look good; and 2. I won't allow clothes to prevent me from going somewhere important, such as church. I still can't believe I even considered not going.

1 comment:

Jhaldir said...

I have always thought that dressing casual and comfortable to go to church was the way to go. I think the whole dress to impress thing in the church is a black owned thing. They certainly don't do it over here in Colorado.