March 09, 2007

More World Cup Adventures

I got my World Cup campaign going today with a match which ended by 2 p.m. It's funny how I've grown over many years to love cricket soooo much that even spending US$20 to watch my West Indian team crumble to 85 all out isn't enough to piss me off. I'm really only disappointed by the fact that I didn't get to see a full day's cricket.

Yesterday I made the long trip from Kingston to St. Ann. What disappointed me was that, along the way, there was quite a bit of evidence of
1. the last minute approach to the event; and
2. the fact that authorities only act when foreigners hit our shores.

Roads were being painted, signs erected... When I got to Mt. Rosser at 7 in the night there was a tractor in the middle of the road filling pot holes, and other work being done at several different points on the hill. Ah well. If only the World Cup could come more often.

But never mind all that. This morning my parents and I made the 40 minutes journey to the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium. As we approached, I feasted my eyes at the imposing North Stand, dressed with two large CWC signs. We made our way through the gates, and went through several security checkpoints before finally making it into the stadium itself.

The inside is even more beautiful... it's hard to describe. But any Jamaican would be proud of that place. My one criticism was that the stands are not very well covered, so most patrons scorched in the sun for most of the day. But we dealt with it. And the West Indies helped us out a tad by making sure the match didn't last too long.


There were no other real hiccups I noticed, except for the sub-standard scoreboard, and the fact that directly in front of me two persons turned up with tickets for the same seat. The issue was amicably resolved witht eh aid of an official... But when you think about it, who would bother to fight over a seat when the fight could potentially last longer than the match in progress?

Feast your eyes at the stadium.

No comments: