January 19, 2007

The Week of Disturbing Scenes

On TVJ news a few nights ago, a story was broadcast about the "flair-up of violence" in Mountain View... TVJ actually had a reporter on location, and he and his cameraman were forced to duck for cover several times during the ordeal, as gunshots were exchanged between gunmen and gunmen... sorry, I meant between gunmen and the police.

I noticed that vehicles seemed to be moving as usual along the road as the shootout was in progress. A few seconds later, the reporter made the same comment, and added that motorists did so even though the road was blocked off by the police. Then they actually showed the 'barricade' place by the policemen... The barricade was two cones, spread so wide that a JUTC bus passed through them freely. Now, it's very disturbing to me that, with a major shoot-out taking place, the best the police could do was drop two cones 20 feet away from each other. Thank God nobody got caught in the crossfire.

**********************************************

I went to watch "The Pursuit of Happyness" a few afternoons ago. Great movie. When my girlfriend and I got to the cinema, the large theatre was near full, and we ended up sitting about 5 rows from the front. To our left, by an isle seat, an altercation developed. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but two ladies who were just returning from the snack station claimed that the 2 persons sitting where they stood were advised that the seats were taken, but sat anyway. The seats were theirs, and they wanted them back.

One of the ladies needed everyone to know what was going on... As the opening credits rolled, and Will Smith's narration began, all I could hear was this one woman arguing about wanting her seat back. At this point, she proceeded to stand directly in front of one of the seated persons and insisted that she'd stay there until they got up. They didn't budge. Nor did she. Her partner was invited outside by cinema personnel to discuss the situation. But, for at least 30-45 minutes (I'm not sure what got her to move), the lady (if you could call her that) didn't budge. I was annoyed... disagree all you want, but don't disturb my movie!

At one point, after several minutes of silence, she decided to get cute: "A one fart mi waan fi lego yaso rite ya now!"

**********************************************

This just pissed me off... I walked along Red Hills Road yesterday evening. As per usual, there was a long, slow-moving line of traffic heading up the road, and very little traffic heading down.

A jackass taxi driver had his own plans. He overtook about 10-12 vehicles on the right side. But, as I would soon find out, he wanted to get unto a minor road on the left side. At full speed the jackass charged up the road, hand on the horn all the time. And when the jackass got to the turn-off, the jackass, at full speed, pulled a sharp left turn, cutting dangerously across an unsuspecting male driver who was on his way from work, and waiting in the practically bumper-to-bumper line like most of the other drivers. It was a horrifying sight. To think of what could have happened if the by-standard hadn't applied the breaks when he did, or if there were pedestrians crossing the minor road...

There's just no way to protect yourself from a jackass... Sigh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol. I'm sorry Bass but while I agreed with your sentiments re 1st and 3rd story and totally understood why you were annoyed re 2nd story (I would be too) I still found it funny. Crass as the lady-er-woman's comment about lego-ing a fart, it was still funny. lol.

Adrian said...

I saw that tvj report too. I drove through there this morning at 6am too with that in mind. Also playing through my mind was the young lady that got gunned down by crossfire a little off Grandspen road last Friday.

I wasn't going to take the long way home though so I went up Mountain View anyway, at least the violence had died down as far as I knew.