It’s back! It’s back!... What number are we at?
The name game…
West Indies cricket team captain Brian Lara is among the most decorated cricketers in the history of the game. His maiden Test century was a masterful 277 against Australia in 1993. Soon after, his first child was born. He named her Sydney, after the ground that his first century was made (Sydney Cricket Ground). Lucky girl! Can you imagine if he’d made his first century in St. Lucia? He would have been forced to name his daughter… Beausejour…
Double meanings…
Here’s an example of the problem with patois. We sometimes use the word ‘true’ (though pronounced a little like ‘chew’) to mean ‘because of’. Example: “A true him bruk ‘im foot why him nah play.” But here’s the problem with that… On the news some time ago, a man mourned the death of his murdered friend. In an interview for TVJ news the man articulate, “I lose a friend… true criminal!”… I’m sure tourist departures were high the following day.
Making a bad point…
The Pope's been having a bad month. A few weeks ago, during a speech at a German University, Pope Benedict quoted from a 14th century letter which refered to the Prophet Mohammed as a teacher of things 'evil and inhuman'. Pakistani street protests followed, with large numbers of Muslims turning out to show their disgust at the Pope's remarks. One senior Pakistani party leader declared, "If the Pope comes here we will hang him on the Cross." Maybe I'm confused... they’re ANTI-violence?
The lighter side of killing…
In one Clarendon (I think) community, a man broke into a house where a woman and her children lived. His attempted at robbery failed because the woman, on seeing the man in the house, engaged him in a tussle which resulted in his death. In her interview on TV she revealed her inspiration: “God give me a different strength fi jus’ CHOP HIM UP man!”… That’s right! You show them who’s boss, Lord!... Hmmm…
These things happen…
True story... A few months ago I had a training session at work. We were asked to form groups of 3 to do an activity... The activity involved doing something with the word REAL... my group decided to write a poem... each line in the poem would start with each successive letter in the word. Unfortunately, we just couldn't come up with anything for the letter 'L'... Finally, the only other guy in the group gets a revelation... and I promise you, he was serious... He asked, "Wha bout 'Elpful'?".............. No comment.
… And many more!!!
7 comments:
I thought when we said "true" it was really the word "through", just without the "h" as we are inclined to do.
I don't know for sure, but your theory fits the mold quite fine.
hehe. funny.
You and I must be the only blogger in the world without word verification. I understand why most bloggers have it but I so hate having to use it.
one must not tell lies about co-workers! LOL
I agree with God's Child, it's through not true
Yes, but you're missing the point. It sounds like 'true'. That's all that matters.
Post a Comment