July 11, 2006

Daddy

I left high school 7 years ago. That is a frightening thought. It feels like yesterday! Where have all the years gone? When did I end up in a tie, sitting at a desk, staring at a laptop? What’s going on?

I know that people like B and ‘Gela are reading this and thinking "7 years! That’s chump change!" I empathize.

So I’ve been out of high school a little while. It’s not something I give much thought on a daily basis. But it comes to the fore when triggered by some other event. At present, there’s another event. Event title- My Father’s Retirement.

As of last week my father no longer works as a Senior Education Officer. Technically, he’s in retirement, even though he’s accepted a role in a special project for the Ministry of Education. Now whether or not he’s gonna be sitting at home knitting is only a portion of my trouble. Ultimately, my real concern is that my father has reached retirement age. Where have the years gone?

I was just a child yesterday. My father seemed to be in the prime of his career. I remember when he went away to pursue his Masters, and how excited I was when he’d come home for the holidays. I would’ve been about 7, but it really doesn’t seem that long ago. Back then my father was larger than life, I really did look up to him (more in a literal sense). I still look up to him, but in a different way. He is still the voice of annoyingly perfect reason. I typically hate to hear his views, because he fails to mince the truth… sorta how I am myself. But what his retirement has done is brought to my mind’s attention, the fact that one day, that voice of reason will no longer be with me. One day, if the natural course of life prevails, I’ll be forced to ask “What would daddy say?”, instead of actually hearing his voice.

It is my wish that somehow I can get myself to enjoy the present each day, and not spend my time dreading what is likely to come.

3 comments:

Sweet Simone said...

I can relate to this one. My high school friend that i haven't seen in a while points out to me yesterday that in just a few years we'll be gearing up for our 10 year reunion. That is scary cause i still feel like i just entered fifth form the other day.

Anonymous said...

Damn right, I saw 7 year years and hissed my teeth, thinking what's wrong with this little one (smile). But you're right it's a frightening thought. My Dad died in Canada where he was living 5 yrs ago, and the thought that one day my mother will follow is just too frightening to consider.

Bashmentbasses said...

We doin our 15th year this dec; since grad in 5th form. Nuff have pickney and fambily.... I have pans and school.... (I'll stop cryin in a momemt).

I have nuff fambily up dere and gettin there and I dun start fret even tho I have some time..... or so I believe