July 17, 2006

Circular Reference

Dear You,

I see you all the time, yet I’ve never quite seen you in the way I saw you the other day. I guess I had gotten used to you being a certain way to the point that I was blinded my outdated impression of who you are. Silly me. You’ve changed. Maybe you haven’t changed that much, but you certainly have changed. Nowadays, I don’t always like you. It’s as if I’m disappointed; I’m disappointed in you for changing how you have, and I’m disappointed in me for hanging on to the person I want you to be. I need to wake up. I need to see who you are, and I need to adapt to it, rather than whining that you don’t fit my specifications. But I also need to do what I can do to change you for the better, to keep you on track. I have a right to demand more of you; I do, afterall, have to deal with you for the rest of my life.

When I look in the mirror tomorrow, I want to recognize every inch of you.

Love,
bC

4 comments:

Rae said...

I love the way you wrote this. Excellent. And it hits quite close to home.

Anonymous said...

definitely captures some of my own motivations for my on-going personal development projects. :-)

laroper18 said...

Somehow this reminds me of a particular period in my life...

Anonymous said...

I like these 'mysterious' letters.