April 03, 2006

Still Feels Good...

After years of steadfast resistance, it has finally happened. I've finally succombed to the wrath of Digicel...

Since March I've undertaken the task of creating a log of all my monetary transactions- what I spend, what I spend on, how much I spend, how much I withdraw from my account, what I lend, what I get back... Everything's logged. I can pretty much account for my money down to the last dollar. The first month of data was interesting- I wasn't spending as much on food as I thought (or budgeted for), and alot of the spending is almost uncontrollable miscellaneous spending. But what was clear is that I'm spending far too much on phone calls.

I was very much aware of that fact throughout the month, as there would sometimes be strings of days in which I bought a phone card every 24 hours. And I don't buy $100 cards anymore, so the spending was always great.

The next thing I was consequently forced to do was to figure out why I was spending so much on phone calls. Was it too many calls? Calls too long? S.O. getting too much airtime? My conclusion was this- now that I'm based in Kingston I'm forced to call many different people on a weekly basis from my cell phone. Many (or most) of these people have Digicel phones. So, for instance, an important 5 minute phone call to one of these people would cost me $90. That's $90 after just five minutes, and one call.

I had to find away to cut that cost. Digicel seemed like the only feasible solution (10/8 is great, but the bmobile plan I'm on makes calls to C&W phones cheaper, so I didn't want to get off that plan). Plus, as an added bonus, I'm now on the VIP plan, so the S.O. can hog airtime all she wants :-) So I bought a cheap little Nokia with very basic features. But it does 2 important things- it can make AND receive calls!

I feel like I've betrayed my family (C&W) by going for a Digicel phone. But I ain't making that much money, so I had to make economical choice. But don't get it twisted- it STILL feels good!

3 comments:

aka_lol said...

Digicel would be finally starting to sell services in Trinidad and Tobago on Thursday, 6th April. It would be interesting to see what they are like compared to the C&W in Trinidad. In the end, it would always boil down to cost and service.

Sweet Simone said...

Welcome to the other side my brother, expect more and cuss when u don't get it! And yes it feels good when u get the best of BOTH worlds, one is just not satisfying enough:D

Miss Mel said...

Sigh, one day I tooo will be able to afford two companies at a time.