The canine who shouldered the title of 'World's Ugliest Dog', Sam, died a few months ago.I believe it was Jim Carey who referred to the phrase 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' as something 'ugly people say.' As funny as that is, it's kinda true. Because otherwise, why is it that we can all agree on a ugly baby, or an ugly man, or the world's ugliest dog? Shouldn't someone ('the beholder') be able to find try beauty in that disaster of a face?
The intricacies of the human condition are astounding. How one can decide what is pleasing to the eye and what isn't is an interesting concept. How I can be found attractive by one, yet 'OK' by another and downright ugly by yet another is... damn unfortunate.
But we are our own worst enemies. I'm sure you are your greatest critic. And what makes things even more difficult it that, in an effort to temper our ugliness we sometimes do things to 'enhance' our look that only makes us look worse- for women, the black lip liner (as if they've forgotten where their lips begin and end), the tonnes of eye shadow and facial powder, not to mention the outfits (that's another post). And for guys- plenty jewelry, brand name clothing, and whatever other accessories. Some also get their facials, handcials and footcials. Now I'm not saying that all these things are only done by people who are insecure about their appearance, but in many cases that's the truth.
I suppose every individual has the right to change his/her look as he/she pleases, but sometimes I wish people would just be themselves. The problem is, society decides who is good to the eye and who isn't, thus making it hard for the 'ugly' to accept themselves.
Wouldn't the world be a wonderful place if everyone could be like Sam, and go out with... well... grace!
4 comments:
I couldn't agree with you more.Beauty is so tricky and varied depending on who you speak to. And just to muddy the water even more, just because you think someone is beautiful it doesn't mean that you would want that look for yourself.
Hey look its chucky!!!
Beauty is and will always be a controversial issue and society usually has the last say. But I do agree, u should be comfortable with u.
no sah, dat deh dog deh too hungly fi real. scary!
yea yea, society dictates etc., but you know, if we really think about it, it's not reeeally 'society' that dictates. Influences definitely. But it's the persons whose opinions matter the most. the guy we like, or the girl we checking, or what we hear our friends say they think is beautiful, the people we hang around all the time.
If these people thought we looked like the bomb digidy, do you think we would give a crap what society says?
The person who sets the next trend that someone thinks looks disgusting has the confidence to do it because someone told them they look hot, and they believed.
You so right, Rae. Plenty times I see people doing things to themselves (hair, clothes, etc.) and I know somewhere out there they have someone who think they look good. :-)
Post a Comment