I turn on the PC. I go about my business while it boots (the whole process usually takes about 5 minutes). After doing a couple things in the house I return to find the desktop picture on the screen, but nothing else. The PC has frozen before it has even fully started up. Cool. So I hit reset, and go about my business again. I return. This time, the desktop picture is on screen, so is the Scan Disk window supposedly scanning for errors. I shake the mouse. Nothing moves. It has frozen again. I reset. Came back. Same thing as last time. This time I'm not as calm. But aside from punching the screen there is little more I can do, and nothing positive. I reset.
I return to see it up and running. Finally. It's a sensitive lil' bitch, so I try to keep as few programs as possible open at once. Too many open at once will cause it to be severely slow (and by 'too many' I mean more than 0). I try to play some music. Starting up Media Player put the whole system on stand-still for about 2 minutes. And then because of the other programs running and the always busy processor, the music pauses automatically about once every 10 seconds, for a couple seconds.
I sign into MSN Messenger. I'm not able to send a message until about 3 minutes after I am actually signed in. I can see that I'm signed in, but the messenger window stays blank for the time period as the CPU recovers from its heart attack.
I try to delete a large file. It obviously slows everything down. Then it gets to the point where there's an estimated 10 seconds left to complete deletion- it takes 5 minutes.
I start up eDonkey. Nothing works for a good four minutes. I sit and watch and wait. If I was a driver and the PC was another driver in front of me he'd be dead at this point. I'm fuming.
I shut down. I go to my room. A few hours later my mother comes in, half-asleep as it's near 3am. "Did you leave the computer on?" I go back downstairs. The PC froze while shutting down. "Oh screw it", I say, as I yank out the power cord.
I need to get my own PC running again. I'm all whooosaaah'd out.
9 comments:
I could write my own blog about the woes I have with mine, but I'llstick to just what happened this week.
1. Turns itself off.
2. Recognises the USB printer as new device on boot-up, when you turn it on to print, and when you turn it off after printing.
3. Goes blank even though it's still on so you don't know if it has hung or not.
4. Refused to reboot when reset was pressed
5. Turn itself back on after you shut down....
All of that was just yesterday!!! Granted 1/2 of that was regular pattern and other 1/2 occassional pattern.
oh boy! Hush BC. Is a wonder it still sitting on the desk as opposed to being on the road side.
When all else fails re-install the OS, U may have to re-install all you programs, but you shouldn't loose any data
To be safe Move all you Data From Documents and Settings to temp folder on your C drive.
Hush!
Check for viruses and spyware.
@BB...turn utself back on after you shut it down?? Now thats talent...
Seeker;, You techies are always promoting re-installing the OS and reformatting. I have solved all PC problems presented to me without doing either of those options, despite on-line and other techie recommendations of reformatting and OS reinstalling.
When you have software that you can't afford to re-install due to creative registry editing, you can't afford those options. A 1st world country options dem deh!!!
Hayden, dat need fi dash weh!
I'm pretty sure this PC is clean. I figure it's just old and grey and not managing it's increasing load well. Specs aren't that great anyway...
I suspect D is correct, I said Re-install cause Some spyware and adware are extremely difficult to track down and remove.
and BB, speakin for me, dont know about Techies, If it were my computer I would have the time or luxary to sit down and Trouble shoot the problem intil I find a solution.
Re-installing is usually my last resort. However because one rarely has that, I tend to patition My Drives so that I can Format the Drive My OS is on without loosing data.
Added to that, when people ask me to look at their machine, they usually want it bak the day before :S.
True dat. I lost much sleep working for free.
Post a Comment