September 20, 2005

Ghosts of the Future

Today, I close my eyes because I’m overwhelmed with fear.
From the corners of my mind, fear ripples,
Down through my spine, jolting my limbs,
Sending my stomach into a vigorous tumble.

Today, as I open my eyes a deep expanse of haze engulfs me;
In it, idle spirits lurk, playing with my head, prolonging my anguish.
In front of me lies the unknown-
Uneven turns and dark wormholes with no end in sight.
So confusing it all is that my own being is unfamiliar.

Today, I stand alone- gasping, spinning, screaming,
Feeling for comfort, for answers, for reasons.
My closed eyes only lead me back to that fear which I must face.

Today, I fear tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I wasn't scared of tomorrow before, I am now.

Bashmentbasses said...

Tomorrow has met his match and so it stays one step ahead of me for self-preservation. That's right! I am!