August 12, 2005

Run Forest, Run!

I threw whatever I could find across my living room early this afternoon. All I could find, however, was paper. But I threw it all anyway, in disappointment over the failure of the Jamaican contingent to take home a medal on this the 7th day of the IAAF World Track and Field Champs; this, while the Americans seemed to snatch just about everything they could get a hand on.

Today being the day after Usain's forfeiture of his chances at a World Championship medal, we really needed something to smile about. It wasn't to be. In qualifying rounds today we had James Beckford and the 4X100 men and women in action. All made it through to the finals set for tomorrow. In final round competition today we had Brandon Simpson (400M), Maurice Wignall (110M hurdles), and our pride and joy, Veronica Campbell (200M).

Now, realistically speaking, Simpson's chances of getting on the podium were always slim-to-none. Let's thank God he made it to the finals. Wignall wasn't in tip-top form, but analysts optimistically hoped that he could at least capture bronze. He came 6th. But defending Olympic champ Campbell was our hope for a gold medal. She only managed 4th. I was only so surprised, given that in her semi-final race she placed 3rd and looked unconvincing after making it past the 150M mark. Today was much the same. In both races she held the advantage to that point, but couldn't hold on. In fact, she was so out of control at one point, she managed to find herself coming around the bend in almost the middle of lane 8, this after she began the race in lane 7. Boy, oh boy. Her 200M form is obviously off- even in placing 4th, she almost ran her best time for the year.

I found myself questioning the work ethic of our Jamaican athletes. Some technical flaws exist in the style of their running, flaws that don't seem to ever show up in American athletes. How it is that Veronica can end up so far out of her lane, or Usain can run with his head up in the air, or Danny can be so sloppy over the hurdles after all this training is beyond me. But in many ways, we have a knack in this region of the world for not nurturing our talents to the best of their potentials. Our cricket team has stood testament to that fact for years. It's sad for our athletes, because we have such strong and gifted runners, but sometimes we don't seem to be able to get them that extra push they need. Will Asafa ever be able to dominate like Justin Gatlin? Yet to be seen. Will Veronica regain top form? Who knows. Will Usain convert that raw talent into gold medals? Time will tell, but then he has a lot of time; maybe we just pressure him too much.

Til all that occurs, we still need to be able to get the basics right so that we can give the US a fight. We can beat them, steroids and all. But as a step in the right direction, maybe it's the basics we need to work on first. That's just what I think, but I'm just a casual spectator. In any case, we stand 5th in the meet, out of scores of countries- no matter what, we're still damn good!

8 comments:

d-steela said...

I think most of our athletes train in the U.S under the same trainers and stuff so it cant be that. i dunno

Anonymous said...

Right, it's the steroids that the U.S. have that can't be detected on urine or blood testing.

But, I don't know - we're a pretty decent country in terms of T&F so even though the races were disappointing sometimes, there were still some good running and some excellent forms. I am remembering a qualifier where we won the hurdles and that girl's form (?name) was great. So is it training. Heard ppl saying that at the gym Bolt attends, he doesn't really put in the work. But, I spose stories will surace.

They're just gonna have to learn from this - shame can be a big spur.

bassChocolate said...

You're right, David. But I wonder if it's a case of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks, and their coaches simply working around their faults. There's just a confidence and a technical correctness that I find many of our athletes lack, despite being trained abroad. But maybe I'm exaggerating- it's not as if the Americans don't blunder as well.

P.S.: Thinkbass, you're also right, there have been some stellar performances by us so far. Hopefully we can grab some 4X4 medals later.

Anonymous said...

I thought our athletes trained here, isnt there some fancy training facility at UTECH?

I too am pretty disappointed in the performance of our athletes. But to be fair, from what I heard they have not been having an easy time off the track. Bolt complained manay times that he was not comfortable, with the weather and the general atmosphere. Ive heard that before Veronica was able to check in to her hotel on arrival to the games she was aproached for drugs testing, and every day at least 2 of our athletes are tested. Ive also heard they have gone thru much verbal heckling from the US athletes in particular.

All it hasnt been smooth for them. I just hope they learn from this and grow as professional athletes

The Seeker said...

Bwoy Librabass, a typical Bandwagonist Jamaican, where was this 'sloppy' runnin during the olympics, and to make it worst you make it sound like other countries dont produce these 'sloppy' runners, including America. But then Like so many other jamaicans, we are all experts of T&F and we train with these athletes every day, and we put up with the same treatment we give them when they "pull a hamstring" and is more consirned about running for the rest of the season than one race. In any case I keepin quite. It kinda erks me to see how quick we are to critisize with our "expert" opinion or stars when they dont do what WE want them to do. Silly of Me to think they do this for themselves, and because its what they enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Seeker,
I hear you and I for one agree somewhat. If u can't do what they do (and most of us can't) then we should really just be supportive.

HOWEVER,

It is felt by quite a few ppl that if u r doing a job that u r qualified for then u better damn well do it well. Cause it's ur job. Doctors most save lives, police should stop criminals and lawyers should send the guilty to jail. Not because we can't do it means that it ain't spose to be done properly by those who can.

If u've chosen to do something then do it properly. Do we really want to apply the: 'I can't do what you do so I won't complain or critise it' rule to everything.
Think of what our government would get away with.

bassChocolate said...

Whoa... Seeker, slow your roll! First of all I resent being referred to as a bandwagonist; they're the kind I rather hate myself. You seem to have missed comments like "no matter what, we're still damn good" and "there have been some stellar performances by us so far"and "it's not as if the Americans don't blunder as well". If you'd like I'll write a whole new post about the great accomplishments of the team this year, a topic which I chose not to write about because the post would've been too long.

I don't know about you, by I watched the entire meet on TV and so I think I'm qualified to say what I think. And I can say that, despite our record 8 medal haul, there were some huge disappointments, as I'd mentioned. And I'd hope you're not taking what I wrote in 'Bite Size' seriously... well, so what if you do? I'm still not sure about this hamstring thing myself.

In any case, with constructive criticism comes improvement, so if you'd rather sit home with 100% positive thoughts and pat them on the back til they burp, be my guess. Next two years, I'm tape my 10 hours of positive comments so I can hide my apparent 'bandwagonist' side.

Bashmentbasses said...

Reeeeaaaw!! Hisssssss!!!

Seeker collect plenty lick.

I am a pseudo-wagonist. I pay scant attention to in between performances and look to the big games/competitions. Same way no body gives a damn how well I really do in school. They just want to know that when they come to me(start to pay me any mind) I am ready to do my best for them. Waggonism can go extreme and dirty, but like Think said, if it's your job do it right.

My damn taxes pay for culture and sports ministry and so I have a right to tell Bolt bout him bungo-push-di-grass-cyaaat!!! An nobody can tell me otherwise. As long as him take money from the country him fi do him best for the country. He can do better he should do better. The other athletes have my congrats. Is just CASSAVA AND NUTS-N-BOLT have earned my ire.