August 19, 2005

Drive!!!

I had an interesting, unforgettable, and frightening experience last night, which I'm hoping never to encounter again.

Simmy, Coutou and myself were on our way back from Portmore having dropped Simone home. Somewhere in the vicinty of Three Miles, as we drove up the open road, we could see the silhouette of a man in the middle of the road out in the distance. 'It's a madman', I figured, 'cause only he would stand in the middle of the road at this time of night... right?

Wrong. We got closer, and I realized the man was standing his ground. O...K... what's going on? And then out of nowhere about 3 other men appeared... oh geez. When we were within a few metres, I saw that the first man had a gun, and my heart disappeared. 'It's not supposed to end this way,' I was probably thinking. We get up to the man, Simmy still on the gas, and I promise you I saw that gun being lifted. And just when I was about to tell Simmy to 'STEP ON THE GAS' I realized... damn... it's just the police!

They were all decked out in their purple (or is it blue?) uniforms, guns in hand. They were all standing at an intersection. Two of them pointed to the left, so we figured something was happening up the road and they needed us to take a detour. Simmy stopped quickly, turned the car around (we'd actually driven pass them by about 5-10 metres, and we turned unto the side road. We stopped and I called one of the officers over. "She doesn't know where this road goes." "No man, we're doing a spot check," he replied. OH! Now things are making more sense. As soon as they discover that we're UWI students, they just send us on our way.

Now here's what I wonder. What kinda police just stand in the middle of the road with a gun at 1 in the morning, poor lighting around, no marked car or anything? If I was alone and in the drivers seat, I proably would've kept driving... what would've happened to me? Something just seems wrong with the picture. But all in all, I'm just real thankful that it was actually babylon, don't think I've ever been so happy to see them.

3 comments:

The Seeker said...

wow!
u need to stop having these "incidents man"

Bashmentbasses said...

As a regular encounterer of Babylon on the roads in good indifferent and bad circumstances I am able to appreciate your feelings. So much so that I'm not gripped by fear when I see them or a sole gunman..... longer story.

Glad that you are all safe. Not cool man to think of any other outcome.

me said...

My cousin had a similar incident at the foot of Red Hills a few years back and he stopped, unfortunately the police uniforms was stolen as was the gun. The two uniformed guys then proceeded to get in the car and have him drive out to palisades cause the stupid idiots couldn't drive stick and when he pulled over under their instructions and they got out of the car he sped off.
God's good grace and their stupidity saved his life. Since then my parents advice me that if I see police after a certain time try to flag me down, drive to the closest police station.