July 04, 2005

Curveball

The inevitable is imminent. I'm at that stage in my life where I'm forced to put down my textbooks and put on my working clothes. Consequently, the unfortunately dilemma I face is that I'm going to be tied down to one location for the most part, which will limit or terminate my ability to do other things that I enjoy.

I've thought for a while that, more than likely, I'd be finding employment in Kingston. But in the back of my mind, I've always felt that things would not work out that way, that my parents would get what they wanted- my being at home so I wouldn't have to pay rent while I get myself into a more independent state. And it's taken me a while to get fractionally accustomed to the fact that I couldn't have it all, that I'd have to give up some things to keep others. It's not fair, but it's the way it has to be.

It's interesting what elements arise as I weigh the pros and cons. If I'm in Kingston, I get a more active social life, I remain an active bashment bass, and I remain in striking distance of numerous friends- good friends- that I've made over the past few years. If I'm at home, I get 'free' living, access to two vehicles, and I remain close to my family. Also, I get to resume doing something I valued very much- working with the AYF (Anglican Youth Fellowship) at my church and on the parish council... and who knows, maybe on the national council this year! By the way, where the girlfriend falls into the equation is even more uncertain than anything else.

Over the past week or so it's become apparent that my most promising job opportunity lies right here at home, at my alma mater actually. So I'm continuing to acquaint myself with the idea that where I am as I type could very well be where I remain for a year, a few years, or maybe more. Apart of me hasn't let go of the life I've developed in Kingston, (for instant, I'd feel like a pan member on leave), but whatever happens, God has his purpose and my role is to live that purpose out, irrespective of the path the journey takes. I just have to be ready for the curveball. It's too early to be sure of anything.

3 comments:

Sweet Simone said...

Who knows, maybe God really saw the need for sensible people on National Council. Answer the call, PLEASE! LOL
But then as i always say, u never know how this new path may lead to where u actually WANT to end up. Keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine the decisions and thought processes that you are going through. However, if God brought you here he will lead you out.

1. You know you will always be a bashment bass. (Somethings ARE permanent!)

2. You will really get to find out if those friends you made were good friends.

3. With less social activity you may find other things that interest you or that you are good at that can lead to something promising.

4. 'By the way, where the girlfriend falls into the equation is even more uncertain than anything else.' This statement had me err? You seem so sure in your love. Or maybe I misunderstood. Make it work if you really want it to.

bassChocolate said...

Thinkbass, you misunderstood (see, I hate when this happens :-) ). What I was referring to is where she'll end up working relative to where I work. How I feel about that is a whole post by itself. Point is we don't exactly want to be at opposite ends of the country, but we'll make it work. We have before.