July 20, 2011

I Don't Have Time To Write This

A few days ago, I needed to have a discussion with a young coworker. I turned up at his desk and asked, "Do you have a few minutes to spare so that we can discuss the issue?" He was in the middle of dealing with something on his computer. He also had a few papers shuffling through on his desk. He was definitely busy. As soon as I asked the question, he looked up at me and said "Sure... I always have a few minutes." I responded out loud, "Wow... That's such a good attitude!"

I had (and still have, I suppose) a very close-knit set of friends from 6th form. We're scattered across Jamaica and the US now, but we do check in on each other now and again... But when I say 'now and again', I'm really saying 'pretty rarely'. Of the group of 9 people, 5 are now married, of which 2 have children and 2 are expecting. Another 2 have a child each. Another 1 is doing a phd. Undoubtably, all our lives have changed significantly. But are things so bad that saying 'hi' costs us too much? This is an especially poignant question in a time when the channels of communication have enhanced greatly. Social networks, BBM, email, mobile phones... and, lest we forget, landlines still work. Surely, some time can be spared without earth-shattering consequences.

I think that's what my coworker alluded to with one very simple sentence. In essence, he said "There's always time." And he's so perfectly right. When are our lives ever so consumed that we can't find a few minutes? When did any one of us become that important?

Sadly, we proclaim to be busier than we really are. I know I'm guilty of it all the time. But I was really inspired by my coworker's outlook on life. So simple, yet so profound.

Here's to making a few minutes for you.

2 comments:

Rae said...

I needed this one :)

Glad to see some activity on here. The unnecessary knowledge thing on the side is rather fun and interesting, only thing is I can't read the green font when it dips on to the top of the train.

The Seeker said...

I am Mark Hylton and I approve this message.