April 23, 2009

Dude, I'm Married!

My wife and I had what was perhaps the longest wedding day in history... but we don't regret it... It was great!

Our families decided to have a get-together the night before the wedding. The social had do be delayed because our priest was 2 hours late for the wedding rehearsal (which was to take place just before the social). The one delay made our live ten times harder. The social began at about 7 or 8, and ended some time after 12. That meant we had 9 hours to get home, sleep, wake up, get ready, and be on time for our wedding.

After breaking the night-before-the-wedding rule a few times, I finally went to bed at about 1 and 2 (I think). We stayed in neighbouring rooms in a hotel - me, with one of my Groomsmen, and her with her Maid of Honour. By some time after 5, I was up... the nerves started working. I could hear the ladies talking on the other side of the wall... by that time, the hairdresser was already there doing her thing. I stayed up, 'relaxed' for an hour or two, and then it was time to get ready.

By 7 the entire bridal party was at the hotel. We all got our laughs, got our attire, got nervous, and left for the church. By 9:10 the ceremony had started (note - THE BRIDE WAS NOT LATE!). I had a feeling of euphoria throughout the ceremony; partly, (and obviously) it was because I was getting married to the woman of my dreams... The other part, however, was the fact that I was experiencing the beginning of the end... many long, stressful, tiring nights were finally coming to an end. We had finally done it.

The ceremony went well, and after hanging around outside for a bit, we headed to a botanical park for pictures, and then made our way to the reception. The reception was short and to the point, mainly because we had about 5 hours before our honeymoon flight departed. We did all the usual stuff at the reception (except perhaps getting a good chance to greet all our guests). At some time after 2, we were finally on our way to the airport. Our driver, my brother-in-law, knows how to get a car going, but is also one to obey the law. So we watched in frustration as he stayed at 50 in 50 zones, and 80 in 80 zones... All this time we lived with the worry that we would not be in time to check in. A number of persons had expressed concern about our day's schedule, and the fact that we would struggle to make it there on time. Well, we made it.

We sat in the airport, tired, but relieved. We were married, and it was time to celebrate! Unfortunately, our flight was also delayed by over 45 minutes, which meant we were going to arrive at port late, but not so late that we would miss our connecting flight. The departure of our connecting flight was delayed by half an hour, because a passenger and a flight attendant had a verbal altercation as we were about to taxi (totally the attendants fault... major bitch if there ever was one!).

We got to our final destination at about 11... We took a taxi to our hotel, checked in, put our bags down and jumped into bed... after midnight! It had been a long, frenetic, exciting, happy day. But it was over, and I was officially a Mister!

But it was not time to go to sleep.....................!

4 comments:

Mrs. bassChocolate said...

:D!!!!

It was a beautiful day! It was long yes, but i rather to look on it from the perspective that i was up for the entire wedding day (minus 3-4 hrs)and now all the memories and emotions are saved to memory... nothing quite like saying "I will" to the person you love!!!

Rae said...

AAAHHHHH!!!! ok, sorry, had to get that out after reading 'my wife and I':D I'll read the rest now.

Hiii Mrs. BassChocolate!! :D

Rae said...

and with that last line I say... RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

LOLOL since your patience was sorely tried that day I hope it helped you in the end ;-)


Congrats again!!