Ever wondered how blind persons find a toilet? Well, they don't...
Yesterday my fiancee and I walked towards the car to leave a shopping centre. The car was parked in a long, rectangular lot with a grassy island going all the way down the middle. We had parked directly facing the island. We got into the car and paused to have a conversation. When we were about ready to drive off I noticed a blind man walking towards us on the other side of the island. I had just about started the engine, and noticed that the man was walking right into the island. But then he stopped.
Thankfully for my fiance she was looking directly at me as she spoke, and only realized something was up when i suddenly slammed the door and said, "OK, time to go!" Right then and there, directly in front of us and only a few feet away, the man reached into his pants and... well, I didn't see what happened after that because, as if I was being pounced upon by a gunman, I flung the car into reverse and got our asses out of the line of vision of his... well... head. We had a good laugh. I suppose he needed to take a leak, and didn't have assistance (or perhaps, time) to find a bathroom. I can only imagine his thought process - "It's not like y'all haven't seen one before... and you should be thankful that you can see it!"
It's something I really could've done without seeing... but isn't it funny how life just throws you these little balls of humour out of the blue? And despite the graphic nature of the incident, it was humour we well needed. It also really reiterated in my mind how difficult life is for people who have to live with illnesses and disabilities every day, and face struggles that we the able-bodied ones take for granted. I can't even imagine what it's like to live without sight, and I pray I never have to experience it.
1 comment:
We should use these reminders to be more grateful for what we sometimes take for granted. Sometimes it's not fun knowing what is lost after the fact.
Post a Comment