October 27, 2008

The Race Card

Let's be real... you want him to win because he's black...

Fine, you're opposed to the war in Iraq (even though at first you thought it was cool to see buildings blown up). Sure, you think enemies should sit around a table and talk. Yes, you're all for taxing the poor less and taxing the rich more... But how many of these viewpoints did you actually know before Obama was your choice?

I first heard of this Barack guy about 4 or 5 years ago. I can honestly say I was extremely impressed by his knowledge, his demeanour, and his overall presence. I did have high hopes for him from that time... but not as high as 'President Obama'. So when I heard that he was running for President, I was happy for him, though not particularly optimistic. At the time he started his campaign, and all the way until maybe November of last year, I didn't give him a chance against Hillary Clinton. But somehow, he rose to fame and captured the imagination of the American people. Now, he's approaching the finish line.

Now I will be the first to admit that my initial (and current) support of Obama had much to do with race. When my father came back from school in the U.S. in the early 90s, he brought back a large Webster's Dictionary. There's a section in it which contains some American history, including pictures and biographies for all 41 U.S. Presidents. I remember looking through it frequently, and the obvious common ground between all the Presidents was their colour (and gender)... years and decades and centuries of old, white men. At that time, and for years after, it never dawned on me that that trend would change, that we could see in our lifetimes a minority President. Suddenly, we're at that point. Now I'd be a horrible liar if I didn't admit that I hope he wins at least in part for that reason. And you would be a horrible liar too!

When Obama and Clinton dueled it out, especially in the first half of the primary campaign, there was little dividing them in terms of policies and plans. And while I'll admit that at first Obama had to fight for the black vote, it didn't take long before black Americans acknowledged his potential and swayed his way. And now, heading into the General Election, Obama has a whopping 92% of blacks in his corner... I'm sure white America is bitching under its collective breath about the double-standard. Is this not racism on the part of blacks? My answer is, "Yes- and it's warranted."

In the same way, it's no coincidence that most of Jamaica supports Obama for President, and wish they could vote. In fact, I dare you to find a McCain supporter. Only a fraction of those 'supporters' know much of Obama's policies, or fully understand the impact of an Obama presidency on the Caribbean and indeed the world... but we support him anyway.

Who can blame us?



5 comments:

laroper18 said...

First time I hear Barak was when I was browsing. And I stopped and watched. This is not usual for me, but there was something about him that for the few seconds I looked at him, captured my attention.

I have mixed views about him wining though. On one hand I do want him to win and make more history. On the other, I wonder if the history will be less than great after the fact. Will he make a great president? Will he live up to his promises of change? When someone makes promises as he does, the fall is greater. The scrutiny greater. The burden ten times heavier. So at this point, I can only hope that whoever wins will be lead by Divine hands 'cuz it's not only them that will be impacted. It's the world at large.

May the best man (for the job) win!

d-steela said...

i just fraid to see Mcalin win. wat a mess

ruthibel said...

I hope yall recognise that neither Barack Obama nor John McCain give two cents bout Jamaica or the Caribbean, and that a black man winning the US general elections doesnt necessarily mean anything for Jamaica or the Caribbean or the world except that a black man won the US election.

After the initial win, he's just a man on te job with duties he must effectively carry out or suffer for...

I also hope yall also realise that because a man talks smooth like butter does not mean he can manage the affairs of an entire country. The proof of that pudding is only found in the eating (will history be greater after the fact, like Leanne was asking).

Finally, I think it's dangerous when we get so caught up in personalities (like this is Hollywood) that we pay little or no attention to the actual policies being promoted by politicians. Especially in a region like the Caribbean where we know first-hand the devastating effects of under-thought and over-talk, I'd hope we'd snap out of the "he looks and talks like a real statesman" mode and start critically analysing policies and their implications for us.

No offense. But I stand by my views.

bassChocolate said...

ruthibelle, while I agree with your sentiments in general, I think you're missing a fundamental motivation for us as black people - forget his qualifications, his public speaking abilities and his regard or lack thereof for the Caribbean. Obama is a black man... now a black president. There is a serious cultural implication here. And that's what people appreciate more than anything. That they believe he will make a good president as well is another matter. Barring him completely screwing it up, this is an enormous achievement. It's an enormous and significant achievement already, and he hasn't done a thing yet. This is nothing like Hollywood.

Unknown said...

Barack Obama is black!??