January 21, 2008

Assault on BK... Part 1

Perhaps the biggest problem faced by fast food companies these days is loss of revenue due to wasted packets of ketchup... or so it would seem. One by one these franchises are falling in line (in Jamaica, as least) to be amongst the wicked who charge customers for an extra packet of ketchup.

Sadly, some of them have only themselves to blame as they issue ketchup to customers without finding out if they are required. But even then there is always the possibility that the packet will be thrown away, unused. Perhaps more companies should take a page from the book of Wendy's... they leave the ketchup out there for anyone to use. Now you may choose to take none, or you may choose to abuse it... when you think about it, maybe it's no better or worse (for them) than it would be if they had packets. But it sure as hell is better for us! I'd be mighty pissed if they started charging for each squeeze of their ketchup!

This afternoon I went into BK for a meal. I ordered and waited for the meal. Once it was ready, the young lady asked if I wanted ketchup... "Yes, please. Can I have 3?"... Now, if you've seen a packet of BK's ketchup, you know that you need 2 or 3 of them for the fries alone... unless, of course, you're ketchup-intolerant... But anyway, the lady response, "You'll have to pay for the third one." All the gases that had built up in my stomach since the morning hours abandoned their regular routes of exit, and channeled themselves out through me ears... "Are you serious?"

I spent damn near $400 on my meal, and you're telling me I need to pay for a ketchup? Do I still get a freakin' straw for free??? What was that? Only if it's not wrapped???

Oops... went into wonderland there for a minute. At that point in time, I understood why Oliver went to the restaurant with his Pure Bulk in hand. Where is Le when you need her? She'd surely have about 20 ketchup packets in her handbag! Sigh... What could I do? I marched up the stairs and proceeded to enjoy my meal. Something had to give, and in the end, it was my fries that went ketchup-less...

You know, it's like going to a shop, buying stuff and expecting change. Because they don't have change they ask, "Can I owe you $10?" Hardly ever would they say, "We don't have any change. Keep the extra dollar!" Sure, it must cost these fast food enterprises to lose condiments unnecessarily. But could they not consider that what they earn faaaaaar outdoes what they lose, and take one for the team? Dare to dream...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ketchup for all!!
Hear, Hear!

d-steela said...

that couldnt happen in trinnidad. these people put ketchup on everything. Every resturant has to have large quantities of ketchup, mustard and pepper for the customers (this includes pizza and chinese resturants). They dont botyher with packets here. they either have the pump thingies or a big gallon container of the condiments that are refilled regularly

Adrian said...

lol I didn't realize that kfc started charging for their own too till I saw the sign but they still always gave me the extra packs for free :D

sometimes they gave me funny looks but I still got em for free heh.

I guess thats another reason for me not to go to bk.

Mad Bull said...

Thats just B. S! Next time you go, take a bottle of good old Grace Tomato Ketchup with you and laugh at those peons!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Mad Bull.

Bwoy, look wha wi come to.