April 11, 2007

The Miserable Minnows

It was exactly one year and eleven months ago that I wrote my last cricket analysis post. I've gone to great lengths to ensure that I don't write about cricket too much, because I know that I'll always have something to say. I think 2 years is enough of a break.

What's funny is that much of what I said about the West Indies team back then still applies today, which suggests that improvement is not something they're qualified to speak about. That said, I have come today not to throw words at the team which I devote so much time and energy to, but to, in the frankest way possible, call a spade a spade.

It's easy for us West Indians to be disappointed now that our team's chances of making the World Cup semis are dependent on 2,000 stars in the sky forming a straight line in order of size. While Math tells us that they still stand a chance, reason tells us it's ridiculously unlikely. Now, we could start discussing who is to be blamed, which decisions were critical, yada yada yada, but it would all be subjective. Let's avoid the subjectivity and stick to the facts:

Fact: When the groups were made for the World Cup a year ago, the West Indies team was ranked 6th. When the Cup got here, we were ranked 8th. Apart from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, the Windies are the worst ranked team of the Test playing nations.

This is an important statistic that we overlook everyday. I know at this point, many will say "That's not why we're disappointed. We're upset because the boys are good and can and have performed much better." That's true... But do you also remember that lower ranked Bangladesh has beaten South Africa and India in recent times? They even beat Australia a few years ago. These victories are referred to as 'upsets'. The truth is, we have not for many years played much better than Bangladesh is playing now. On the days that the team decides to turn up, we do well (winning the Champions Trophy in 2004 and placing finalists last year). Note however that this same team which placed second last year was bowled out in one of the earlier matches for 80 by Sri Lanka. The point is, inconsistency is the hallmark of a weak team. What we have here is a weak team.

The underlying problem here seems not to be the team but the team's supporters. We all, in chastising them, give them more credit that they deserve. The truth is, the West Indies team is a minnow. We should, for now, not be agitated by their loses but grateful for their victories. I still believe they could've won the World Cup- it simply would've required a series of upsets.

You can't win matches when your opening pair of batsman can't give you more than 24 runs. You can't win when only one strike bowler actually takes wickets. You can't win when your entire middle order is almost incapable of half-centuries. You can't win when the fate rest in one man's hands. It just doesn't work that way. Why even bother to expect more out of a team which has given little reason to suspect true talent even exists?

That said, the coach should go. He's taking up space and selling our secrets to Australia (or that's what my father thinks!). And my boy Lara... it's time to take off the arm band; while a captaincy change will not make things better, neither will leaving Lara in charge. The team structure obviously needs to be changed, and he may be the starting point.

I wish them well. It's been too long, and I'm tired of watching them turn the never-ending corner, otherwise known as a CIRCLE. I truly will watch, wait and hope as I've always done, that they will rise out of the second Great Depression, but til then, they may need to be relegated to a Junior World Cup, and face Bermuda. Maybe playing them will give this team some well needed self-confidence.

3 comments:

The Seeker said...

LOL! It is now officially bad when you sound this way... and I agree with you.

Anonymous said...

Chuuups. Don't even know why ah reading this post to upset me all over again. I've been trying to forget them. Such a disappointment they are, certainly robs me of the joy of finally understanding the beautiful game. Chuuups. Cho! Next!!

Jhaldir said...

Bwoy! What can I say... its a sad day when we have to admit that we are nowhere near what we used to be... and worse, its not going to get any better. There is no corner to turn. Cricket in the West Indies is a dying sport having been replaced by American sports. The talent pool is drying up because no one is adding in fresh water. Ah life!