It's funny how something you saw or heard when you were young can stay with you even as you get older, more mature... and smarter. In the same way that, if you were told as a child that you 'fell from the sky' you may believe it until you're old enough to know better, there are some fallacies which you accept as truth until it you one day realize they make no sense. Even though I know that I've faced that more than a couple times in my life, I can't seem to remember a single instance at this point in time.
So the 'sky' story is an example of something you may have HEARD. Now here's an example of something that I SAW. I saw a family- mother, father, brother and sister (just as in the story books), living in harmony. Parents happily married, nuturing, guiding, and whipping the behinds of their offspring. The offsping in question- me and my sister. Point is, I was fortunate to grow up in a stable family, with both parents. And both my parents loved each other (and still do), and remained happy together.
I'm no longer in their direct care. I'm now out of the family-at-home situation. Now I live alone, and am no longer clouded by the reality that I grew up in. Instead, I now go to work, and I see my adult coworkers, females in particular, some good looking, others not, some accomplished, others working at it. Then I look at the ring fingers. Many are empty. Some are clad in costume jewelry. The point is, my office is filled with unmarried women.
I'm sure many of these women are unmarried by choice. However, perhaps even more are not. But that little boy in me, who grew up with wedded parents, thinks it's unheard of that persons well into adulthood should be unmarried. I suppose, for me, being married and heading a happy family is something I accepted as my destiny well before it really mattered, and that mindset affects how I view other people. Is it that she doesn't want to be married? But how could she not? Is it that nobody wants her? But she's so good-looking and smart... Then again, she may be hell to live with... Looks and smarts aren't everything.
Back on point... When I take a step back, things are put in perspective. I have a number of late 20s or early 30s friends who are single (and not by choice), and as such there's no guarantee they'll be married any time soon, if at all. It's sad and unfortunately, especially if that little boy in me lives in them also.
I've been lucky. My prospects at this point are great. I just wish well for anyone who wants that companionship and just has not been as lucky as I have been.
6 comments:
hmm.. I trust women as far as I can throw em. Maybe those women have trust issues too, I guess we will all be single :p
Those well wishes are very thoughtful of you BC.
Very interesting. Your environment really has a lot to do with who you become.
My mother is married now, but I didn't really grow up in one of those nuclear fam type situation even though both parents were actively involved in my upbringing.
Until recently where I kinda feel like it might be nice to be married, it was never an over-riding need/desire/something that I feel like I should/must do. I've always felt that I want children though (I'm an only child).
Just last week my mother (frustrated from watching me knock aside in-her-eyes potential suitors) called me last week to tell me that she's failed me because she didn't convey to me the importance of being in a married relationship and that's why I have a cavalier attitude towards it.
Hmmm. Is she right? Probably....
I think people who grew up with married parents are more likely to get married, so you're probably right.
Jeez Bass, wanted to log in but I've been away from blog world so long, I've forgotten my webpage.
It's only me having some time at work.
Gela
Funny you mother should think She did. I grew up in a nuclear family... with what I would call a strong and good upbringing and I still view it with allot of skepticism.. I think ppl can make it work (like my parents did).. its just not for everybody.
Interesting story... without bringing up the horrors of my own upbringing (this will become "evident" from my point-of-view) I would like to point out that in modern day society there is absolutely nothing glorious about being wed. Especially when there are such things as common law relationships, baby fathersm sugar daddies etc. Who needs a monogamous relationship sworn before God? Our society is obviously adapting the same nonchalant attitude as the US of A and as such the lesser fortunate within Jamaican society have nothing to gain from being in such an arrangements.
Barring that, I do believe ppl inherently yearn for life-long companionship. But where is it written down that it should only be with one person? [the Bible perhaps?] Viva la Polygamia!
:)I was ere!
True talk bredrin... singleness is fast becoming an epidemic!
Post a Comment