It's not that I don't like Valentine's Day; it's just...
First of all, if you're real big on Valentine's Day, don't read this before the 15th...
Now, I have traditionally celebrated Valentine's Day, and more than likely that will continue. For some reason, however, my interest in the day of celebration has waned over the last 2 or 3 years. I don't get particularly hyped up about it, and to some extent, unfortunately, I sometimes feel like I'm simply going through the motions.
My first problem is that Valentine's has become little more than a commercial event. All the stores stock up with red and white stuff, roses become brighter, restaurants get their best dishes on the menu, and everybody makes money... a I lose money. As much as one could argue that Christmas is much the same, there is one fundamental difference for me...
Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ. It's the celebration of a very specific event, with a very important meaning and message to life. Thus, it gets special attention. We have dumbed down its significant by making it so commercial, however, but it is a very important day/season. Valentine's, on the other hand, is a celebration of love... just love in general... Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but why do we need a special day to highlight a feeling? Why don't we have Angry Day, or Hungry Day? Hungry Day sounds good... on Hungry Day, we should all go out and buy each other junk food! Howzzat?
OK... pardon my pettiness. My real issue though is that I don't think I should be forced to show some special love on one specific day. I should always feel free to be spontaneous, and surprising, and willingly giving of my love, rather than have it planned out for me, and the entire world with me. I don't need a special day to show love- I show love all the time. Being subjected to anticipating an annual day of abounding romance has caused Valentine's Day to lose it's sting.
A few days ago, I bought my girlfriend a nice little tube of lip gloss- not because she wanted or needed one, but rather, just because. Isn't that sweeter than the bunch of roses she could get today? I mean seriously, how original is that? And how great is it when she gets something she wasn't expecting on a day she wasn't expecting it? It could be anything, from lip gloss, to carnations, to a love note... those are true expressions of love.
Who died and made Valentine king anyway?
4 comments:
True indeed. But since we're on the subject of monarchy, I say let's elect B.C.as King. Long Live King B.C.!
I think that sometimes it takes having a day set aside for "love" for some people to make the effort to how it. Sad reality, but true.
True, Valentine Day just seem so corny to me these days.
I was thinking that if I had a 'valentine' I'd probably want to go home, have a glass of wine while I snuggle up to him, watch a dvd.
No, restaurant, no fancy gift, he can bring me home some chocolate, not necessarily because it's valentine, but because I ALWAYS want chocolate (eat it round the clock). That sounds more romantic to me than standing in line at some overcrowded restaurant waiting to be seated.
I'm with you on this.
and what the heck is with everyone wanting to have 8pm reservations??? I'm sorry but it's ridiculous
Post a Comment