So sure, humour's humour. We should all try to allow a good joke to slide off our backs, even if the joke's on us.
Unfortunately, society has decided that some jokes cross the line. In Jamaica, don't tell anybody 'bout dem madda'. I have, in my younger years, taken verbal and physical abuse for such outbursts, and despite the blows, knowing that I applied a low blow to the other person's ego was still enough to make it seem worth it. In different cultures, there are different 'red light' topics. And within each of these cultures, each individual will have his own standards.
For this basic reason, not everybody will find the same joke funny. In fact, what's hilarious to some may be terribly offensive to others. And to make sure that never changes, Borat made a movie.
The reviews for Borat have been overwhelmingly positive, with most critics citing how well the character highlights some of the everyday quirks and abnormalities which everyday society has come to accept. But at what cost?
The lead character, Borat, is played by brilliant comedian Sacha Baron Cohen (better known as Ali G). His HBO series, 'Da Ali G Show', had him playing a wanna-be 'Yardie' gangster, his vocabulary laden with Jamaican slang. It was quite funny to listen to. And I nearly died watching his movie 'Ali G indahouse'. His abrasive, irreverent humour is infectious. You want to be repulsed, but for some reason you can't... or rather, I can't.
Now comes along Borat, the supposed Kazakhstan native who is sent to the U.S. on a fact-finding mission, and who 'will be execute' if the movie fails. Audiences have been eating it up, but should they really?
According to an Associated Press News report, "The character suggests Kazakhs drink horse urine, view prostitution, rape and incest as respectable, and are openly anti-Semitic." Now, let's all bear in mind that Kazakhstan is not an imaginary country. In fact, it is a country with over 15 million people. How should they feel? Many Jamaicans are offended when Americans portray us as Weed Orgy Central. How would we feel if we were portrayed in a major motion picture as a country which condoned rape and incest? Not so good. Is character 'Borat' crossing the line?
And if he is, why do I still feel like I'll have a blast watching him in action?
8 comments:
I agree with you on this one bC. If I were a member of that country, I might not find it funny, but then again, realizing it's just comedy, maybe I would.
I must admit though, he cracks me up.
Jamaica is lucky enough to already loom large in the world's collective consciousness. Kazakhstan, not so much. Kazakhs might not be as offended as Jamaicans would be in the same situation. I mean, where is Kazakhstan anyway? I have a pretty good idea, but how many people do?
But isn't that more reason to be offended? People don't know much about them, except what they're told by Borat...
I haven't seen the movie as yet, but I keep thinking why didn't he use an imaginary country?
I guess the impact wouldn't have been the same.
Borat is satire. The average person would know that when Sacha Cohen says Kazakhs drink horse urine, he's just taking the piss (pardon the pun).
I think the American characters Borat interviews in the film come off much worse than the Kazakhs.
...and den poor Buju a get a fight ova bat-ie-man song.... Jackass seh di worl no l'evil
I stll haven't seen the movie as yet, but I wan't to. I watched the news where the Kazakhs in a village were complaining about the movie. But I guess everycountry has been the centre of some joke, I guess. Maybe he shoud have used a ficticious country though, it would have been more tactful.
that might have been more tactful
Post a Comment