October 31, 2006

Is Victoria's Secret Out?

Life is sometimes littered with traumatic experiences.

My girlfriend and I took a trip to Maxie on Thursday to see what clothing they had to offer. Once we got inside, we almost immediately split to explore our own individual  preferences. Men's clothes on the left, women's clothes on the right, and we went to our respective sides. My search ended pretty quickly because there was only so much that interested me. My girlfriend was having better luck, and she picked out several things to try on. I had a look on the jeans (on the left side), and then went over to the right to help my girlfriend pick out different pieces. When she had a few things together, she went off to the changing room to try them on.

A male employee mistakenly opened the door on my girlfriend as she was changing, and, due to the fact that she had just clothed herself, was spared the displeasure of having his eyes plucked out and his wrist chopped off. Life returned to normal, and we finished perusing the clothes on offer. Eventually, we both made our way to the cashier to pay for the things we'd picked up. As we stood by the cashier, my girlfriend nudged me. I turned, now looking back down the aisle towards the entrance, and there stood two guys... Both were tall, early-to-mid 20s- one was muscular, bearing all in his muscle shirt; the other was skinny, also in a sleeveless shirt, long hair platted and held together at the back of his head.

The three of us... me, my girlfriend and the cashier, stood in amazement as we watched the two gentlemen browse through decorated jeans, on the FEMALE side of the store. They held their heads straight, and paid no attention to the others in the store. Most people tried not to stare, but us three, for a brief moment, just couldn't help it. The cashier in particular was most distressed. I found it kinda funny. I tried at first to convince myself that they were shopping for jeans for their girlfriends, but that theory was shot to hell when the muscular guy made his way to the changing room.

As the other guy stood outside, I thought to myself that he behaved somewhat like the stereotypical homosexual. His walk was somewhat effeminate, and he spent alot of time running his hands through his hair. But the distinction I was faced with making made me even more distressed- have things now gotten so bad in Jamaica that we will no longer be able to distinguish gays from guys who like women's clothing? Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to say that homosexuals all behave the same way- they certainly don't. However I do find it sad that 1. Our men are now doing the things women do; and 2. Our straight men are now doing the things known to be more commonly done by gay men. 

This is integration at its most dysfunctional. What's next? Will they be wearing Victoria's Secret undergarments?

6 comments:

Rae said...

If you are distressed as a guy, think of me as a girl. I have to definitely wait on guys to initiate flirting because I can't just look at a guy and assume he even likes women!! This is what the world has come to. Stress. The devil is definitely having his way with confusing the population.

Anonymous said...

Okay that entry is the funniest thing I've read today.
I've had encounters like that before, men at the hairdresser who demand nail services you only see on women.
The lines have blurred, and the labels no longer exist.
But Ce'cil is right, the men have taken over our clothes.

laroper18 said...

How u so sure they aint already wearing them?!

Miss Mel said...

I'm with Le, how can you be sure!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh in a few years that will be the norm, get use to it. Hehe. Women have problem finding eligible single men, soon we won't be able to find clothes.

Thinkbass said...

I used to say that all the eligible guys are 1) Gay 2) Priests or 3) Taken. But I see now that sometimes they are all three and othertimes one can't even be sure. Would not want to see this occuring on a regular basis.