July 25, 2006

You Can Call Me 'Baby'

A friend of mine has her MSN nickname set as “Baby, I miss u…”

Up to earlier this year, she had been in a long-term relationship with this working guy. They really loved each other but couldn’t make the relationship work anymore because it was impossible for them to see each other as much as they wanted to, and they got fed up of it…

So they split… A few weeks after it happened, I ran into her down by UWI Students Union. I hadn’t spoken to her in over a month.
“What’s up? How’s Dean?”
“He’s OK, but we’re no longer together. But I met this guy…”
“So you’re with somebody else already?”
“Yup.”

I was a little in shock that she would be able to move on from a once sturdy relationship so easily. But it’s not a new thing for people to jump into one relationship from another one so quickly.

Anyway, the ‘baby’ she refers to is her new boyfriend of a few months. And as I look at the name, it’s clear to me why I prefer long-term relationships. I don’t remember how long it took me to call my current girlfriend ‘baby’, but I know it took a while and even when I’d started it felt awkward. Things have changed now… I may forget her name, but I never forget to call her ‘baby’… I’ve never forgotten her name, in case you’re worried.

My point is, though, that for me ‘baby’ is as serious in a relationship as ‘bomb’ is in a plane. Now I’m not saying everybody lives by this standard or even that they should. What I am saying is that I wouldn’t want to want, at the end of the day, to look back and realize that the number of babies I had can sufficiently repopulate Montserrat. To each his own- if you want to jump from relationship to relationship that’s your prerogative. But don’t throw these titles around because in the end they don’t mean a thing. You have to work before you become my ‘baby’… I mean dammit, do you really think you can just waltz into my life and get these prestigious titles without effort? Get real…

Unnecessary aggression quelled. Pointless post ended.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Pointless possibly, but a nice read nontheless. I guess it's for this reason that guys tend to find new words to use for their sweethearts in a relationship. I find that a personal nickname means way more to me than the generic ones.

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on that. My girlfriends sometimes ask me if I can't be more loving when they hear me calling someone new by their name, but dammit as you said, I can't call any and any body, darling, sweetums and such like. I'm with you on this one Sir Bass.

Miss Mel said...

Tottally agree with you. Call someone else baby? I even remember how awkward it was to hold hands in public when we first started dating , and we'd already known each other for 3 years!