July 04, 2006

I Love Girls, Girls, Girls, Girls

My best friend at work and my favourite girlfriend met for the first time last weekend. They’d both heard quite a bit about each other in advance, so the meeting was one of academic significance more than anything else. They smiled at each other, greeted, engaged in a few seconds of small talk, and then parted ways. I immediately knew what I’d be hear first thing on Monday morning.

“Unnu black man love a browning enuh!”, my friend lamented. I smiled as she said it, because I had the whole weekend to prepare for it. It’s not the first time I’ve had to face that argument, and I’m strong in my conviction so I remain unfazed by the question.

I can be honest in admitting that history isn’t on my side of the fence. The only other ‘long’ (very relative in this case) relationship I have had in my life was with a girl whose complexion is perhaps slightly lighter than that of my long-time current girlfriend. Needless to say, my present girlfriend and I are undoubtedly on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as black skin goes. So fine, it looks bad… but looks can be deceiving.

I was explaining to a friend of mine recently the evolution in my thought process as it relates to girls. “There was a time I thought I had a thing for short girls. Later on I thought I had a thing for tall girls. Then I thought I liked them in-between. It was at that point I realized, I just like girls!” And that, my friends, is the bottom line. That I’ve been with two light-skinned ladies is merely a coincidence… I don’t live my life by colour. If all the factors of attraction (looks, personality, etc.) exist, I’m game. That’s all that matters.

By the way, did it ever occur to any to anyone that maybe it's the light skinned girls that like the dark skinned guys??? Why does it have to be a guy thing?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one of the fairer(-est)-skinned around my circles, I get my share of that harassment as my boyfriends have often been considerable darker. Not sure if I am supposed to seek out the whitest ones or what. :-D You fall for who you fall for, the colour is really a side note.

Anonymous said...

True. There was a time when my friends were convinced that I liked only brown-skinned men because it appeared that most of the people that I dated were of that hue. So convinced were they that when I went to study in England they were sure I'd come back with a white man (roll eyes) and while there if they heard of me seeing anyone first question would be "What complexion is he?"

Rae said...

You could be on to something there BC. There is something extremely sexy about a good looking dark man, but I'm sure for them it's just coincidence too. Complexion is hardly an issue once attraction sets in... I just love boys, boys, boys, boys

Bashmentbasses said...

The support grp meets every 3rd monday at 7pm at Devon house. This coming meeting Seeker will be sharing.