I joined a karate club when I was about 10 or 11. I didn’t even know what hit me. One minute I was home watching TV, and the next my mother told me that we were going on the road. Next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a bunch of Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles. And I was amongst the group of wannabes.
After some time of being in the club, I received my Gi (pronounced ‘gee’… Interestingly enough, I’m only know learning how to spell it). So began my karate career.
One day after practice I went home thinking it was the last practice until the end of summer. It was, but it was also the last practice I would attend. 3 years and 8 belts, 6 trophies and 1 medal later, I was no longer a Karate Kid. For the sake of some perspective, I can tell you that I was three belts away from becoming a black belt.
My mother was a tad baffled at my leaving. I remember having a conversation with her, in which she reminded herself of how dedicated I was when I’d just begun; how I’d come home from training, go on the back verandah and practice some more. How I loved karate. What happened?
Well, one thing I know is that developing bursitis in both my knees didn’t help at all. In fact, it hurt (literally and figuratively). But outside of that, the passion I once had for it all had gone.
Isn’t that just the story of life? It’s certainly been the story of mine. Several different activities I’ve been a part of and loved, I’ve walked away from before I expected to. I thought that phase of my life had ended. I’m not so sure anymore. Things change, circumstances evolve, priorities shift- something that seems so clear cut in the present can be made to change by the simplest occurrence.
I ran into a friend of mine on Saturday. He was in karate back when I was. He has a deformity in his legs that hampers his movements a bit. How surprised was I to find out he was still in karate (a black belt, of course).
I woke from a dream this morning. In the dream I ran into my Sensei for the first time in years. And I pondered a return to karate. In reality, even though I left that stage of my life almost 10 years ago, it seems a part of me still feels like I should’ve held on. Seeing my friend didn’t help. But despite that, the feeling hasn’t been strong enough for me to return.
How many times will history repeat itself?
5 comments:
You learn new things everyday...wouldn't have guessed u did karate.
But I can relate to losing passion and drive...kinda experiencing that now, but still pushing myself because I know they are not far gone. I just need to keep looking and pushing...
wow. 3 belts away from a black belt Chocolate ninja... I hope for your sake that the passions u now have take you to a more 'regretless' end point. And for those you have had for years... yes, you know which I mean... I suggest you act on them while you still have them.
hmmm, Interesting. I've always found that my passions fade away and if I look out for things that affect how I relate to them then I can A)predict the rate of disinterest B)stimulate interest and or C) plan alternatives. Do you find that you just wake up one day and the feeling's gone, or is it a decline that you fail to notice?
I am kinda the same way that Mel is talking about. There are days where i feel the decline in interest is rapid and other days its moves a bit slower but it is never sudden. Maybe u need to evaluate the stuff u do every once in a while, is it satisfying, do u feel the same or more/less than u did when u started?
So are you going back? I understand though, remember when I started playing tennis, was so gung-ho about it, thought I was going to be the next venus or serena (Or whosoever the hell was around when I started, don't think it was them). Here I am still, haven't quite mastered the game.
Post a Comment