I had to get this out.
The Soca Warriors made it to the World Cup Finals for the first time in Trinidad's history. Good for them! They managed to hold off Sweden, they held off England until the last 10 minutes of their match, and all depended on how they performed in their final match... Well, not quite 'all'.
The outcome of the Sweden/England match was also critical, and the 2-2 draw in that match killed the Warrior's hopes of going beyond the group stage of the competition. Their dreams were doubly killed (if that's possible) by their 2-0 loss to Paraguay.
But let me get to the point. As a West Indian I was happy and proud of the Warriors for making it to the finals. I wasn't expecting much of them there, but to a limited extent they surprised me, if only because of their fight. Their only goal was an own goal, but even that isn't the worst. They did well. I'd like to think that us West Indians would all be proud and hopeful for our boys. Not so.
I have been thoroughly pissed off by a number of people in my office, who, for the past couple weeks, laughed at the Trini's misfortunes and prayed for their demise. Well they got what they wanted. And now they're celebrating.
So why the negative feelings? Well, the dominant reason is this- Jamaica isn't in the World Cup, so Trinidad shouldn't be there either. "Are you serious?" was my internal response every time I heard someone utter that hogwash. How on earth can our people be so badmind to think those things?
How does Jamaica's worthlessness affect Trinidad? We played England the other day... We could've proved our worth... And we did: worth = zero. Trinidad on the other hand gave them hell for 80+ minutes before going down 2-0. If they deserve to be there, they deserve to be there. So what if we're not?
I'm bugged by this behaviour, because the sentiments are those of smart, and supposedly rational people. And I can't help but think, if these people think this way, how should I expect John Doe to think?
Sometimes I hate associating myself with some people... Sometimes I hate associating myself with Jamaican people. But anyway, some things will never change. So my only resolve is to continue to be myself, and say "Well done, Warriors! Better luck next time."
10 comments:
Wow. here I was thinking that we West Indians were together. I bet those same people will jump up next to the T&T posse at the Cricket world cup though. But you can't expect everyone to think like you BC. And you also can't brand 'Jamaicans' by the narrow-mindedness of the few.
A Korean wasn't happy about the goal that Korea scored because the team was South Koreans and she's from the north... it's not just us.
Putting my anger aside that they didn't beat Paraguay which I thought was well within their grasp, I am proud of their performance.
But if you meet me on the street I will cuss bloody hell for their not finishing off a weak Paraguay.
To be honest I find Jamaican's in general to be very 'bad minded' in such matters From T&T in the world cup to Gatlin 'matching' the record. We are fast approaching US levels. :S
I any case I share you sentiment.
Some Jcans bad mind for real. Sad still. Im proud of our Boyz for getting to the World Cup in 98, and even though we won a match I have to say overall, in my opinion T&T looked better than we did. Give respect where its due.
I agree, D. It's ironic, because TT didn't even score a goal, and I had a feeling that that would be theirt fate. But they still fought a good fight, a better one than Ja did in 98 I would say as well.
Nyaga nuh like si nyaga prospa (don't mind the spelling). But even though one wouldn't consider the TTs "nyaga", same principle applies. It's really sad! And to think we would cuss dem out if dem did eva not support J'ca if J'ca made it!
btw, 'badmindED' sound like u trying to Enlisherize di likkle word. badmind a badmind past or present :oP
That occurred to me yesterday as well Rae. The problem is, it's a difficult word to use in a proper English sentence. But I've made the change as per your instructions... :P
I'm at a loss to understand that too bass, it's really sad that people think that way.
What am I doing wrong, I was trying to link this by typing Land of the 'Badmind' It doesn't go straigt to post.
Post a Comment