May 09, 2006

Mathematical Genius, Or Major Dum-Dum?

I'm gonna prove something to all you non-math people.

Theorem: 2 = 1

Proof:
Let's assume we have a, b and c such that a + b = c
Then it follows that (2-1)a + (2-1)b = (2-1)c
That is, 2a - a + 2b - b = 2c - c
We can rearrange this result and we get that
2a + 2b - 2c = a + b - c.
That is, 2(a + b - c) = 1(a + b - c)
Thus, 2 = 1!

Airtight proof? I'm a genius! It's really cool, right? WRONG!

The problem with this proof lies in our assumption that a + b = c. If this is the case, then a + b - c = 0. Now in our number system, we cannot divide anything by zero. In our proof, the last step involved us dividing both sides of the equation by (a + b - c), which effectively means we were dividing by zero.

Don't like math? I won't hold it against you. I'm the only idiot who decided to take math beyond A-Levels.

2 comments:

Sweet Simone said...

U Damn right u r the only idiot! what in the world is that?! u had too much time on ur hands, just like all the other geniuses that came up with all these proofs that i had to memorise :@

Anonymous said...

huh??? lol