April 07, 2006

Panoridim, LIVE!

Imagine how frightening it was for me when I woke up to the sound of triniBass’s voice… Was I in hell or something? Thankfully, I opened my eyes and realized that he was on the TV as opposed to being in my bed.

OK… truth be told, I woke up to the sound of the alarm. I jumped up and turned to TVJ immediately to see my fellow band members neatly lined up behind their pans. It was a cute sight. triniBass was being interrogated by Neville Bell, which was kinda funny. And I thought to myself, “It’s a good thing he went and not me. Cuz if I’d gone, there would have been no Trini for the hosts to pick on!”

There was another good reason I didn’t go. I was terribly nervous for some reason. I was sitting in bed shaking as I watched Mummy, C Moan, Karissa, triniBass, Sparky, Carol, Nix & B being interviewed one by one. I prayed that they wouldn’t flub a response, or say something dumb, or when playing a demo, screwing it up. I found it funny when Neville asked C Moan and Mummy to play something together, and C Moan turned to Mummy and whispered “Workout? Workout?” Unfortunately, the DTs don’t chime in at the start of Workout, so by the time it was Mummy’s time to join in on the tune, Neville cut them off.

And then there was triniBass, who insisted (and not surprisingly so), that even though he was asked to play a specific set of notes, he was gonna play ‘Roll It’. He too got cut off.

Karissa said Cellos are the best, Carol told Neville that he’s an idiot, Nix was her typical cheerful self, unphased by the camera, Sparky got asked how a drum set fit into a steel band, and B… oh B looked so young and innocent and cute and (OK, I'll stop now) ...on TV, I was so proud of my next door neighbour :D.

I watched a bit of the performance, and as usual I was angered by the fact that the basses were hardly audible. It's something I get very worked up about, and is the reason why I get physical when anyone tells me the basses are too loud. But that aside, it sounded OK, though the mics were perhaps not all set up the best way. But who cares about the performance???

I saw when C Moan and Sparky tried to crack the code on the thingymajig, but that’s about all I really saw. But I left my VCR running when I left home, so I should have almost everything (except for a bit of triniBass’s interrogation at the very start- poor Trini never knew his carnival terms).

I sat in my bed like a proud father watching his children representing him well. When I got to work I stole the remote in the canteen for about 15 minutes to watch. I was to be at my desk, but I was in front of the TV. Who cares? I'm off probation!!! But seriously, y'all looked, sounded, and represented well. And you met Shurwayne, dammit!

3 comments:

Sweet Simone said...

Shurwayne spoke to me!! OK enough of me sounding star crazed, (B had much more of an interaction with him) i had fun this morning. I think it was worth getting up b4 sunlight for this playout just to hear neville call me pretty :D LOL. Crazy man!

laroper18 said...

I was happy fellow-member too. So proud of them! (sniff) And now it's official: UWI Panoridim people are cebrelities...esp. Sparky who apparently was so big that people coulda win prize fi memba 'im name :)

Congrats guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw that. Oh nice. I was telling someone the other day that the one thing I regret missing while I was in Trinidad for Carnival was Pan-night. And I didn't go to any pan-yard. All my friends said that I missed something great. Damn!!! But next time.