March 11, 2006

Pimps Gotta Eat Too!

Boy are times changing.

I've been an avid follower of the Billboard Hot 100 for about 5 or 6 years now. The chart lists the top 100 Singles in the US for the previous seven days. I remember that for the first few years that I followed it, black/hip-hop music, though getting more popular, was a minor factor in the chart's top 10. You'd be lucky if you saw 4 songs there by black performers. Boy have times changed.

I remember being in my cousin's pickup, heading to Barbican, when it was announced on Zip FM that for the first time in history the top 10 of the Hot 100 was filled with black performers. I believe that may have been in 2002. The trend has continued ever since.

These days, there's a complete reversal of the trend of 5 years ago. Nowadays, it is very unusual to find less than 5 or 6 songs by black performers in the top 10. Generally, a hip-hop or R&B song will latch on to the number 1 spot. Good stuff, right?

Hip-hop act Eminem became, in 2002, the first rapper to win an Oscar, for his self-inspired 'Lose Yourself', from the '8 Mile' soundtrack. He now has company. The Memphis underground-turned-mainstream trio Three 6 Mafia, became the first rappers to perform at the Oscars, on this past Sunday... They also became the first rappers to WIN an Oscar, snatching the Best Original Song award from the grasp of Dolly Parton and Kathleen York. The name of their song? "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp", from the 'Hustle & Flow' soundtrack!

A part of me wishes that it wasn't Queen Latifah who'd presented the award. I would've liked to see how the words would have sounded coming out of the mouth of, say, the uptight Sean Penn. But anyway, the trio was jubilant, jumping out onto the stage wearing throwback jerseys, sneakers and showing off their diamond-studded teeth. I wish the cameramen would've shown the crowd; I'm sure many were amused and delighted, and others were not. The censors bleeped them twice- once during their performance and once during the accpetance speech. The censors admitted, however, that they couldn't say for sure that the f- word was used. They bleeped the group because they weren't exactly sure what they were saying. That's even funnier.

If 5 years ago you'd told me that 'It's Hard Of Out Here For A Pimp' would win an Oscar, I'd laugh in your face. If you said the winning rapper was, say, Eminem or Jay-Z, I'd laugh, but not as hard. But Three 6 Mafia? I'd be rolling! Boy, has the world changed. For the better? You be the judge.

2 comments:

Sharon shares said...

Yes, the world has changed...and in my opinion, for the better. Some were very disappointed that "this group" won the Oscar for "this song", but not I! I say it represents the opportunity that should be available to anyone...not just those doing what most of us "approve" of them doing.

When opportunities for people of color to participate at all are so rare, my mind is boggled that when we actually get in the game and WIN, so many of us find cause for complaint...the content is inappropriate, their dress is inappropriate, they portray black folk in a bad light, etc, etc...

It takes all kinda people to make any unique culture and Three 6 Mafia was being what/who they are! I say the deal should be:

You do you, and I'll do me...and we'll each speak for ourselves!

Great post, and I too would have loved to see stiff azzed Sean Penn or someone with a dignified accent like Anthony Hopkins present the award, just for the fun of hearing them read the song's title ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
back to basic ice cream makers bedroom bondage Girl in bondage stories Free ringtone for tracfone motorola v120c Lamictal cough Mcallen footwear Medicare drug plan coverage Recoding car radios uk Sex slave domination porn clips