Everybody knows that it's hard being a Christian. But while most will immediately agree, primarily because they know that walking on the straight and narrow can be a challenge, most people may miss another obvious dilemma.
For some, it seems, the world (or their world) is clearly divided- Christians on one side, and non-Christians on the other. Now the point is not that the two don't mix, but more that Christians are forced to stop at a line which they must not cross, while 'nons' can cross it at will. As a result, there's a tendency among many non-Christians to assume that Christians are superhuman, incapable of (well, not incapable... more like, allergic to) saying or thinking a bad thought. So when a conversation begins where people from both groups are involved, you'll here 'Cover your ears, I don't want to corrupt you.'
At work I sit beside this really friendly girl. I'm glad I have her as company because at least I know there's always someone I can talk to... Until she found out that I'm Christian. Now even the simplest of things will cause her to bite her tongue, and in the event that she doesn't bite her tongue, she appends the phrase, 'Look how I corrupting you?' And most times I thing, 'WTF!!!' (OK... I don't really think that, I just thought it would be funny to say). Perhaps I should be overjoyed that she's looking out for my best interest.
The reality is, however, that I get tired of it sometimes (not so much as it relates to her as it does in general). I feel the need to be normal, a part of the group, and not have to worry about where the conversation will go and whether they'll want to include me.
That being said, the other extreme is that there are some very vulgar and out-of-order guys in the office (one in particular, the ring leader, I suppose) who I'd rather not associate with. But working in an office with very few men, I'm bound to end up mixed up with them from time to time. And that bugs me, because I'm not up for his/their foolishness. Maybe that in essence is the problem non-Christians face- not knowing where our lines are drawn, and thus pulling the line in close for good measure. Whatever the issue is, it won't go away. Such is life.
4 comments:
Interesting. With the world being what it is, there are very few conversations left (in non-vulgar English) in which someone can say 'look how I corrupting you' and their words ring true. I'm almost grateful to hear that there are still people who are mindful of the feelings of those around them.
I definitely don't get that courtesy here, nor expect it. My problem is not usually the topic of conversation but the conversation itself. Vulgar language is my issue. I dunno if people realize how much dummer they sound when the F-word is a regular part of their working vocab. But I digress.
We are different in that I've always felt honoured (for want of a much better word) that some friends change their vocab (in particular) because I am around. But everyone is different.
(apologies for the post in ur comment section)
My thing isn't so much about vocab as it is about content. As I did mention I don't particularly like vulgar people and will turn away from them if I'm sufficiently offended. the problem I have, however, is that poeple feel that because I'm Christian I wouldn't wanna hear the word sex, or hear people talk about it, orhear people saying negative things about others. Sure, there are other things one could talk about, but I'm a person too!
AMEN!
Adrian you have hit on a very sore point. Like I have said before, I realize I am a bit liberal (maybe a bit too much) for a christian. And I find it use to urk me whenever ppl started to change the topic whenever I am around, Mind you there are certain topics I dont agree and wont really participate in any Conv. that go along those lines, But to make the assumption taht just about every single topic is taboo is ridiculous.
They Forget I was a Human Being Before I became a christian and I am one still.
This leads me to my reall issue with this though. Some Non-Christians, I believe, seem to wait for a christian to slip up, it is as if they relish it.
By extention I realize that I do the same to Rastas. I remember a rasta living on mY block and it was almost as if we wanted him to eat Pork, just so we would get a chance to ridicule him.
Irrespective of ones religion what right do we have to take joy in the fact taht they are human and they will make mistakes. It is as if we want to feel a justification for how we live (I say we because I have to include myself, not as a non-Christian, but as one has done his fair share of goding of those of diff spiritual persuasions) .
This puts me in my mind of the poem "When I say I'm a Christian" by Maya Angelou. I wish I still had it in my inbox. It basically outlines all the things ppl assume when you say you're a Christian and debunk it totally. Check it out.
Post a Comment