November 23, 2005

Home Sweet Home

For some reason people seem to forget, whether due to bad memory, lack of knowledge or just plain ignorance, that Antigua is a part of the twin island republic Antigua and Barbuda. Someone born in either island would be considered to be Antiguan. Though the islands are similar in geographic size, they differ immensely in style of living. My father's Antiguan, and spent the majority of his time in Barbuda before he moved to Jamaica.

Among the primary differences between the two islands is their population. While Antigua has a population of tens of thousands, Barbuda's population barely tops 1500, with most of that number living in the capital, Codrington. That in itself makes Barbuda a great place to be. There's a great sense of community, which also stems from the fact that, most people there are related to countless others. My cousin had misfortune of finding out soon after breaking up with her ex that he is actually her cousin. I'm sure it's happened quite a bit. But that doesn't take away from the life there.

What's great about that community life is the freedom. Everybody watches out for everybody else, sharing is common, crimes minimal. There was a time when each household would have their bicycles stored outside all day, and anyone could take them up and ride them out, because it would always get returned. Whenever I wanted to go out, I didn't have to ask too many questions, I'd just pick a bicycle from out front and go.

Additionally, a curfew wasn't necessary. I remember once riding out in the streets all by myself at 2 in the morning, with not a care in the world. Nothing was going to happen to me. Yes, Barbudans have their domestic issues like everyone else, and every now and then you'd hear of rowdy behaviour in their club or on the basketball court (both written in singular form intentionally), but 'murder' is not a word in their dictionary.

There's a lot more I could tell you about life in that fascinating little spot in the sea, but this post isn't the forum for it.

I went out at 8 tonight for ice cream. I jogged to the shop to get there before closing time, and then I walked slowly back home. As I got back onto my dark street (a string of about 3 street lights have had their bulbs smashed out) and was within 200 metres of home, I ran came upon a man who stood by the side looking over into a dark yard. I couldn't understand what made him so curious. So that made me suspicious. My leisurely walk quickly turned brisked as I passed him. Every 5 steps I made would find me glancing back to track his movements (as luck would have it, he started walking in my direction as soon as I passed him). I could smell my gate as I approached it. Thankfully, I got to touch it as well.

By that time, the man was quite a distance behind me and continued along his merry way. But I couldn't take the chance. Jamaican life has me quite paranoid. Those street lights weren't knocked out accidentally.

While I was in Barbuda in 2001, my cousins and I had a discussion about the contrast in crime between there and Jamaica. Both my female cousins are somewhat terrified of coming here. And though their fear is somewhat excessive, I couldn't help but understand their sentiments. Whenever Jamaica came up in their local news, chances are the story was about murders. And coming from a place that is murder free year after year, they were somewhat perturbed by the thought of being here.

Obviously, the reality of the two islands contrast significantly. But having experienced both realities for myself, all I can think is, "If only things here were different." I wish things were different.

With almost 40 days to go in the year, the 2005 murder tally has already exceeded the tally for all of 2004. If only.

4 comments:

Rae said...

Thanks for this one. I never knew this much about Barbuda before - interesting. Sounds like an island paradise that I would love to go experience one day.

If only.

Anonymous said...

Same here, never even thought about Barbuda before (sorry). Does sound like some kind of paradise. :-)

Bashmentbasses said...

My mom tells me stories of her trips to all the islands. Nothing new for me but I like pretty pics.

It's Just Me said...

I know who you are now!! And you gave away your dad's "secret". I asked him several times if he was from another Caribbean island and he'd always ask why, smile and tell me I hearing things when I say his accent sounds different. Tell him the GC at IHS whose mother is the VP at ORHS says hi!